sitting on a cliff, combat suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Oceans, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

does anyone feel that if they were sitting on the edge of the cliff or bridge than things may be more clearer? this is what i want to do. this twirling thoughts of suicide eats me up and i procrasinate alot of the time. Not that i have any concrete goals in life.

May be if i had the chance to take my life things would open up and I would rid myself of having thoughts of suicide at the back of mind constantly.

I don't know any other way to achieve this sense of nothingness, to feel no judgement, nothing is good or bad but just is kind of perspective. Yeah, it is a gamble to sit or stand over a cliff but what does it matter anyway? Suicidal thoughts don't just go away with time, so why not put myself face to face to death and see what happens?

Those who have planned a suicide with a date, then when that planning is underway, this freeing state, i want be there but I can't seem achieve this state without resorting to death.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?
  2. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i wish i could say i knew what the answer was. unfortunately i combat the suicidal thoughts even when all is going well. it's crazy and ridiculous. sorry i wish i could help more. please take care
  3. jamie20m

jamie20m Well-Known Member

If you want to be free of judgement turn to God. God does not judge you. And in God you can think with a clear head and gain perspective in your life. Try think posotive and look at other peoples suffering for perspective.
  4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

For a long time after I finally clawed my way out of the dark pit of depression and suicide attempts, I sat on the edge, looking in. I didn't really want to go back, but I guess I wasn't free of the thoughts and consequences. Looking at suicide seemed easier than contemplating life. By now, I've put some distance between me and the hole and have achieved a level of peace. Two years ago I would never have thought that would be possible. I have to say, though, that the temptation to return to that familiar edge is almost always in my mind. Plans run in and out of my mind as I try to focus on something to look forward to that will keep me going. Right now, it's my son's wedding in January. It's been a very long term goal for me, and sometimes I'm at the place of not even caring about that, when the black hole beckons me back. I hope you'll be able to do what I try to do - first, promise myself I'll give myself another day, then move to the next step and promise myself I'll hang on until something coming up in a few days - then a week, then two weeks, and so on. Somedays it's back to step one - promise I'll give myself one more day. I guess that's the nature of chronic depression and suicidality. I hope that you'll find your own way of choosing to live.
  5. xDYINGxEMUx

xDYINGxEMUx New Member

This dose kinda make sense, I went through a faze of going to a roof top, not to kill myself but things did seam a lot clearer up there. Maybe its helpful because there are the means there and you can judge things a bit more rationally. I thin that it would only make sense to go up there if you are safe enough, when you are only borderline thinking about it, because other wise your not going to think your just going to go for it.

I'm probably not making sense (cold and lac of sleep)

6. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I have heard that sometimes people can think clearly when they are on the edge, or when they jump of the edge, then they might realise they have made a mistake (from the survivors of suicide, from failed attempts). But most of them , if they fail once, they try again. And we cant get the answers about those who have succeeded to end their lifes.

So, does it helps?
    Yes, it might, because you can realise that you can solve your problems, or that you dont care about your problems, or if you decide that you can search for alternatives and live with the problems.
    Or, you might just decide to jump of the edge. Really, its the same as you have a gun in your hands and planning to kill yourself. When you are on the edge on the cliff, then you have a 99% working method just one step far from you.

Is you are asking if you should do this, my answer will be: It depends... It depends on how much you want to die. If you have doubts, you can try this. If you are sure that there is no solution and you want to die, then dont go, because you might never return.:sad:
  7. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I think sitting on a cliff might be nice, because you can look down at the whole land beneath you and clear your thoughts. Just don't go there if you're actually thinking of jumping off. That would be really messy. I think just being somewhere high up, away from everyone else gives you a chance to think clearly and be at one with nature.
  8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I'm exactly the same way. I know that a date would bring me comfort, and I probably wouldn't even feel suicidal any more just because I would have that comforting of knowing and being confident with a decision I've made, but I know that I won't go through with it, so I have to know I will die in order to bring that comfort.

I stand on the edge of a cliff near my house sometimes and think about jumping. I know that I won't, but I still think about it.

I agree with this too :)
  9. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

Today, I feel really down and looking back at the last time I thought to myself "if i am not reasonably ok when (date) then i will end my life" now years have passed, i'm still here without any direction, not even a job or career path. what the hell am i doing with myself. people would say get your act together, stop feeling like you are a victim and get on with life. but what is this life we are living. nothing more than a drugery.

I went to the edge temporarily, it was built up so dropping would not of kill me anyway. It felt ok and I had some calming thoughts but now it is so out of reach.
  10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

It is not for me because I am afraid of heights. Go figure.. I use to be a roofer and would be on two and three story buildgs.I can't even climb a ladder now without my anxiety hitting the roof.
    I have already thought of how I am going to do it.So I have that staring me in the face all the time...
  11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't think it's a good idea to sit on a cliff while you are feeling suicidal, I agree with dave's suggestion though. Please stay here and let us help :hug:
  12. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

i would jump jump jump if i were on an awsome cliff like that, at least i hope i would!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.