Situational depression or a personality disorder?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

For the past few years I've been struggling to figure out whether I have some sort of personality disorder (no doubt something that can be found in the DSM - Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) or whether I have situational depression.

Because my situation has never improved I can't figure out whether I need a psychiatric consult or not and I don't want to ask my Doctor to refer me for one because last time I did this, he yelled at me and he makes me very uncomfortable as it is.

Some of my past behaviour makes me think there's something more to this, but then again a lot of my current behaviour makes me think I'm just depressed about my situation. I'm really struggling with this and I don't know what to do.
    I'm on 20mg of Fluoxetine at the moment and while I am just about holding it together I am far from okay.

What should I do?

2. Madison_Rose

Madison_Rose Active Member

Your doctor yelled at you? What an arse! Report him to the GMC and get a new doctor. It's easy to register at another GPs practice, or ask to see another GP at the same practice. If you feel you need to give a reason, say you want to see a female GP, but there's no shame in saying that you don't like him. He's the one with the attitude problem.

I'm very lucky because I have a GP who is kind, sympathetic, and has time for me. I really hope you find a nice one too.

3. daz69

daz69 New Member

Obviousley some people are more susceptible to depression than others. Key factors would be lack of social contact/confidence, low self esteem due to past history etc. So even when they have the outward appearance of success anything can trigger off their depression.

I always remember one of the top footballers coming out and saying he had depression, a lot of people said he earns millions has a celebrity girlfriend etc what's he got to be depressed about, but of course you he can still be depressed.

Now whether your depression is situational, chemical or combined with a personality disorder I would say you still need the best treatment for the symptoms. I suggest you try a different doctor or even a different practice if necessary. PM me if you want

4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I really think you should try to get a new doctor. He had no right to yell at you; you were just asking for help!!

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Can you set an appointment with a shrink on your own or do you have to have a referal??It sound as if you would benefit from seeing a therapist also..The others above are right on suggesting a new GP..They are there to help you not to belittle you..I wish you all the best..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.