Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I think, reading the article, it's probably more about the parents attitude to school rules; but yes, a ridiculous outcome to a nothing situation.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Screw the society, its hopeless to have a common sense those days

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Were they hash mini cheddars? lol

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

So why punish a child for a parents attitude why punish the child christ

6. flowers

flowers Senior Member

thats about as crazy as what they did in Utah in the US. Some parents owed for their children's school lunches. The kids got thier lunches from the cafateria just as the other children did. But then the children whose parents were not up to date on their payments had their lunches taken from them and thrown away. They were allowed to have milk and fruit.The rest of their lunches were literally thrown out. They became garbage. Needless to say this was quite humiliating for the 40 children who had their lunches taken from them in front of the other children. Parent's fault for not paying? Perhaps they did not have the money. Social programs in the US are being slashed all the time. Leaving less money for food, heat and even shelter. Sorry if this offends anyone. I dont mean to offend.

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It's really sad because the boy and his brother got expelled from the school in the end. I think there's a lot missing in this article regarding the parents attitude as I believe that has probably been a big factor leading up to this decision, however I maintain the opinion that schools have no right to dictate to a parent what they should and should not put in their child's lunchbox.

8. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Sounds like the school was trying to get parents to provide a variety of healthy foods to make a balanced nutritious meal.

In the article, the parents describe their child's lunch, but there is no mention of the fruit/veggie that the school said was to be included. Certainly, cheese and crackers can be part of a healthy diet...but fruit, veggies, whole grains, proteins from different sources, etc. are also important.

I can imagine that some people feel it's none of the government's or school's business to tell them what to put in their child's lunch. I can't understand NOT wanting to provide a balanced healthy meal for my own kids, though.

Some details about this must be missing. The story is kind of inflammatory on all sides if it was just over a bag of crackers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.