Skin Cancer and Full Body Scanners

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by champie, Aug 29, 2012.

1. champie

champie Well-Known Member

I hope this is an appropriate place for this comment.

I live in the Arizona desert, so, when I can anticipate extended time in the sun, I battle sun exposure by typically wearing long pants, long sleeve shirts and a "floppy" hat to ensure I cover my ears and forehead. I am fair skinned and likely to burn instead of "tan."

In November, 2011 I traveled by plane for the first time since Full Body Scanners were introduced in airports across the United States. Prior to that time I had never seen any evidence of a skin condition developing. However, within a month of my short trip noticed a round brown spot on my cheek. It was a little rough and scabby but that quickly gave way to a smooth brownish area and nothing more. It remained that way for 8 months until 10 days ago.

10 days ago I noticed some changes that looked like a pimple forming in the middle. Perhaps ignorantly, I messed around with it a bit and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and an antibiotic ointment (Neosporin). After 2 days the area was deep dark red and looked horrible! I have no health insurance, nor do I have spare cash to afford procedures that I anticipate a Doctor would require.

With nothing to lose, I determined that it is probable that I am dealing with a Basal Cell Carcinoma (just a guess based on images and personal accounts on the internet). It appeared that one option available to me was using Comfrey Salve on the affected area.

After 6 days of gentle washing and application of the salve every 3-4 hours the area is completely healed. As of today a thin dry patch of dark area completely disappeared after I gently washed my face with warm water. When I looked up from the sink I was surprised to see that only the faintest hint of the problem area was noticeable, and that was because it was a very healthy looking but just slightly more pinkish than the surrounding area. I think it would be unnoticable if I hadn't been looking for it.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone had a similar experience with skin cancer (my diagnosis) after being subjected to Full Body Scanners? Is it reasonable to suggest that the scanners could have contributed. There are reports of potential threats to people, especially in regards to basal cell carcinoma on the face.

2. Has anyone had experiences with Comfrey Salve? I would love to get some feedback on its uses and results.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I have gone through the scanners and never had any effect , as have hundreds of thousands of others. Even in the theoretical area of causing damage it is generally stated extensive or repetitive long term exposures, not a single time or two.

Comfrey Salve - I am not aware of any cancer fighting properties and believe if there was any type of evidence of it as demonstrated in any standardized double blind trial it would be well published. What I did find many times with various wording was-
    Comfrey salves, ointments and teas are best know for the topical treatment of burns, skin ulcerations, abrasions, lacerations, flea and insect bites, and just about any skin irritation. Comfrey's astringent tannins form a protective surface over wounds that promotes healing. You may want to try comfrey or allantoin skin creams for diabetic sores.

Basically it seems to be a good topical skin ointment for various skin conditions. That fact it worked on yours would imply that it does help skin conditions. I would not personally jump to a conclusion of skin cancer based on internet research and if it did raise suspicions due to internet research I would recommend a visit to a physician.
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Sorry buddy, but you cannot self diagnosis yourself with cancer. You most likely had a really bad spot or something (I get them frequently). Besides a skin ointment is not going to "cure" cancer, you would need to see a doctor for some hard core treatment. Don't be a hypochondriac, but if you are really concerned, see a doctor! You cannot self cure cancer!
  4. champie

champie Well-Known Member

I appreciate the replies.

I suppose I failed to mention that I am in the US and I do not have health insurance. Therefore, I am left with the resources that are available at an affordable price.

It isn't necessary to discuss the topic further because I recognize that my comments are easily judged to be "crazy," and I don't wish to encourage condescending remarks.