Skin health

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Ranxerox, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

I suffer from really bad backne, it's painful and disgusting. Does anyone know how i can treat it? I've tried drinking more water and scrubbing it regularly but it hasn't helped. Any help would be appreciated.

2. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Try Proactiv. Also eat tons of fresh vegetables and take a multivitamin.

Exercise, loose clothes, and spending time outdoors all help.

3. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

In the past I managed to clear up a lot of my acne by doing pretty simple things. The trick was I did them obsessively and never let up ( I kept consistent).

I..
    -Washed with soap twice a day and moisturized after every shower so that my skin wasn't dry.
    -Changed my bedding every 3 days (bacteria and dust/dead skin cells = acne)
    -Did not let anything touch my face. This was very hard but it worked.
    -Went swimming every other day. I think the chlorine helped clear up some of the acne. When I think about it, no one on the swimming team at my college has any pimples. They all have perfect skin :biggrin:
    -Drank A LOT of water. And I mean A LOT. I read somewhere that drinking water and keeping hydrated is good for the skin. I drank like over 10 litres a day... I made sure to try and get one litre every hour at least.
    -I took Vitamin E a few times a day as well as multi vitamins.
    -I cleaned up my diet. NO junk food or pop. No bad carbs.

So I don't know if it was a combination of these things, coincidence or a placebo affect... But after 2 months of this my skin looked much better. And since stopping this routine... It looks pretty shitty and I'm considering laser treatment (which I was going to say is another option for you!)

4. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

My friend used to use sun beds are a treatment for backne - to dry up her back and that seemed to work well.

5. lonercarrot

I forgot to mention that, whatever you try, you need to wait at least 1-2 months for results. Pimples can take up to a month to form... So you shouldn't find out if anything is working before one month. And if you are not consistent and give up after 2-3 weeks you won't ever know if what you were doing would have worked. Consistency is key.

6. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

If your acne is cystic, hygiene isn't the issue. You might need to be put on antibiotics if your acne is indeed that severe. Some environmental factors can contribute to the condition worsening, and as mentioned, diet.

Consider consulting with a dermatologist. Being cystic means you're pretty much guaranteed to have some amount of scarring. The sooner you get treatment the less likelihood of scar formation, and of course, you'll be ridding yourself of discomfort - both physical and emotional.

And please, don't scrub your skin. That can irritate even milder forms of acne.

7. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

That's potentially dangerous.

8. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

x2. good advice! See a dermatologist - thats their job :)

9. lonercarrot

nah. drinking 10l in one shot would be dangerous. spreading it out over an entire day's alright

10. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

oh yes, i know everything about all things shallow and unneccessary i wanna comment. i have pretty clear skin genetically so i tend to slack in the skin health department. washing my face with dove bar soap suffices. however, sometimes i use the wrong the wrong foundation or moisturizer (i experiment a lot hehe) or i get a hormonal breakout. i can only attest to these reccomendations working on that. for bad break outs and bacne, i would strongly suggest seeing a dermatologist. this may help a little in the mean time

-i dont know if you heard of an aspirin mask. just take 3 uncoated aspirin, some drops of water, and smush it up. rub it on spot you want clear, wait about 10 min, and rinse.
    -now the aspirin mask as a crumble-y, wet-baking-powder-like texture so you can add anything to make it adhere. stuff like honey,(dont worry, its fine) oils, and aloe vera gel
    -you can follow up with some witch hazel as a toner ( i always use this after cleansing)
    -helene mint julep mask is also great stuff and its really cheap ($1 at most drugstores) and it has a really cool, fresh feeling.
    -you say you've been eating healthier and drinking more water, which is excellent keep it up.
    -cystic acne grounds is aphyxiated skin (clogged pores) that is VERY dry on the surface. make sure you are exfoliating (getting the dead skin cells off) be careful not to harm your skin. theres lots of good exfoliators out there. afterwords moisturize.
    -get sun, sun is not only good for your skin, but your overall well-being
    if you dont wanna tan, you burn easily, or you are scared of the premature aging wear a sunscreen w spf 30+ or higher depending on how sensitive your skin is
    - never sleep with your makeup on

try all this stuff if you KNOW you wont have to go anywhere the next day, because youre never sure how your skin will react unless you try it. ~~~

11. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Tetracycline is a prescription medication (antibiotic) that works for both ordinary acne and cystic. I'm on it now... My acne has not been visible, but painful lumps in my skin with no redness. Cystic acne is much worse than ordinary acne I would say.

12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I've never suffered from acne, cystic or otherwise (so this might be completely irrelevant for people with cystic acne, i'm talking generally), but I did break out in spots way back and it was hormonal.. and like lemoncookie, I found out a few things..:unsure:

- body/face wash and moisturisers in main shops usually have alcohol in them, and that can strip your skin of natural oils, dry it, clog your pores, and cause more spots. herbal, or pure glycerin, and vegetable soaps are good- the less crap in it the better. i use neem soap, it's 99p from the local grocer, compared to the what- £4 neutrogena stuff you get in boots, and it's the best thing i've used in my life.
    - exfoliate, daily but don't scrub or anything. moisturise with a cream that does not have alcohol in it, but has loads of natural oils, vitamin e is good especially if you're scarring.
    -diet and exercise does help. and a good multivitamin, i never believed the good multivitamin thing until i tried it for something unrelated to acne/spots.

and all the other stuff that was said in this thread, although i do believe 10l a day is excessive when it comes to drinking water.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  13. Stray

Stray Account Closed

It could be diet related, have some food allergy tests.

14. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

Have a balanced diet, that only not improves skin but overall appearance. You can also try an making an organic mask with honey and milk.
    Also scrubbing isn't good for the skin on the face, be gentle especially around the eyes.
    Moisturise after since skin loses its natural oils after washing and tends to make more oil afterwards.
    If you have some scars put some lemon juice on finger tips and dab that on the spot, unless you have dark skin then use yoghurt.
    If all fails then go to the doctor for treatment.
    Good luck :)