Sleep Apnea and Depression

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Grey68, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

I can live with depression. Life is shit, I can live with that. But now I have an illness called sleep apnea. My throat closes enough when I sleep so I don't get rested. This has been going on for eight months now. I am being treated with an APAP machine, and while I am better, I fear I will never feel rested again.

I'm scared of death, but goddamn I want it too.

2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Sorry for the depression and sleep issues always make that worse but if the APAP is not working well get it refitted - have used them for years and when they are fitted well they work perfectly- if not they so not at all. Part of the not feeling rested may well be the depression making you feel tired. Are you treating that as well?

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

My dad uses a CPAP machine for his sleep apnoea and since he has been using it he has a very good nights sleep. He can tell the difference when he wears his mask or not. Without the mask he has terrible broken sleep, with the mAsk he sleeps like a baby until the morning. Wearing the mask takes some getting used to, and getting it to fit properly took a few tries but it works well for him now.

4. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I use a bipap machine for my sleep apnea it works beautifully. Although I don't think it has helped the depression, it has helped my sleep. It is just something you have to get used too but it will really help. Good luck

5. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

Not being treated for depression, no. I can live with that. I just want to feel rested.

6. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

What type of mask are you using? I use nasal pillows. I highly recommend them, they fit gently into your nose......sounds gross but work very nicely.

7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Feeling tired all the time and like not rested is a basic sign of depression. If it is what is causing the lack of rested feel then the sleep apnea and mask will be totally irrelevant. You can live with depression often - but why would you choose to?

8. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

Sleep apnea is a physiological condition. I was depressed before the apnea and didn't feel this badly.

9. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

I use a nasal mask. I'm better, but still tired. All the damn time.

10. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

I have all sorts of sleeping issues. I even went to a sleep clinic, and they were unable to help me.

Best Wishes to all..

11. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

I doesn't get better. The thought of living many days feeling like I do is such a burden; it drives me to do what I should have done long ago.

12. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

Another day in this crappy world feeling tired. I wish I had the courage to do what I need to do.

13. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

If you feel tired why not go back to the doctor and get some bloodwork to see if something is causing it? I have depression and I don't feel that tired all of the time

14. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

Had blood drawn a few weeks ago. Two days ago I received a letter from the doctor saying that my blood work showed no abnormalities.

15. DrownedFishOnFire

Try some medications for depression maybe it'll help, not all meds are the same. Some will work while others wont?

16. Grey68

Grey68 Active Member

I've tried several meds before. But at this point it doesn't matter. I'm 46 years old and I don't care about depression. This is a crappy world; I should be depressed. I just want normal sleep. Tonight I haven't slept at all.

17. Jasp

Jasp Active Member

Try meditation, breath work and yoga. I studied these things for 2 years and then I was able to recover from fatigue without sleeping. I could make long days without getting tired and even rest will being awake or in movement. I could skip an entire night and be tired, but without the moodsways I had before.

18. DrownedFishOnFire

Ask the doc for med that knocks you out. I found one specific med that keeps me out asleep through the night, and it's helpful.

Or go through some sleep remedies if you're wanting good sleep or get the mask adjusted like others suggested

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.