Sleep deprivation as a release method?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Dubstepper, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubstepper

Dubstepper Staff Alumni

Well, I havent posted here in a long time, other than to give help... Now I'm asking for it...

lately, I've been staying up all night on certain nights knowing that I should sleep, but i refuse..some of these nights, im doing it just because im mad at myself for some failure or another. I dont think i have any medical conditions about my sleep patterns, i think im just willfully ignoring sleep untill i just pass out during the day...

is this bad? should i worry about myself at this point?
  2. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

Hi Plat, i do think it is certainly not a good thing. I am doing pretty much the same, i have no reason to stay awake yet i refuse to sleep untill i cant open my eyes anymore which usualy is early morning next day. It eats my energy as i have meals at the most ridiculous times and i cant function properly during the day. I now am trying to force meself into bed at 'normal' times, if i succeed and manage to get into my old rithm i feel alot better during the day
  3. jnine

jnine Well-Known Member

if it were me i wouldn't worry as long as i were in still willfully staying awake. The problem would be that changes in sleep are tricky, what you might be choosing to do today may slip almost unnoticed into something you no longer have direction over.

When i don't want to go to sleep it's because i absoutely dread that long empty time sitting/lying there before i can sleep and also in some warped way to avoid having to face the next day.

What does staying awake do for you?
  4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I personally think this is something to be aware of and something to start tackling if you can. It can be a method of self harm because going without sleep can be damaging, and it sounds like you are doing it for negative reasons.

Do you know why you refuse to sleep when you are dealing with something you perceive to be a failure?
  5. Dubstepper

Dubstepper Staff Alumni

well, i just deprive myself of sleep because its the one thing that doesnt physically harm me... i used to do other things, like when it was cold, i would deprive myself of blankets or even a warm jacket.. i did things like that through high school...walked to school without a jacket in 20 degree weather...

i think that when i deprive myself, i just stay in the chat room, and make believe that im perfectly ok.. i mean, i like being there, dont get me wrong, and im not in pain, i just dont believe that i am good enough to have earned the right to sleep comfortably like the rest of people...

i know.. this sounds really stupid..
  6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

many times, tonight for example, i deny myself sleep. i don't know if it's willful or not but there are times that i couldn't sleep if my life depended on it. sometimes i wish my life did depend on it. i know that the less i sleep the crankier i become, the more despondent i become. it just sucks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.