Sleep

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Lorax, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

Not sure if this would go here, but I have a habbit of sleeping over 10 hours daily. Ironically, it blends with severe insomnia when I try to sleep earlier than 4am.

Naturally it's not been good in my work life, and it's not good for your mind. But I can't seem to figure it out. I would blame certain meds, but it goes long before them, and even when I'm off.

It used to be the opposite, I'd stay up for days. But it's not depression, not mania, I don't exactly have good dreams either. I kind of wonder if I just lack enough stimuli in my life. Even with loads of hobbies/ projects, I don't have any "real" goal. Plus those hobbies can be done anytime.

Any other "bears" out? Or any effective ways to keep a long-term sleep schedule. I don't mind over sleeping, just the hours.

2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Ive read that ending all eating and drinking, even water, after sunset helps. It stops your digestion by the time youre ready to go to sleep at a normal hour to comfortably get up early for work, say between 9 and 10pm. Since you think you need ten hours, try starting between 8 and 9. Plus you wont have a lot of energy in your body - food - at night to delay sleeping for longer than a few hours.

It also helps to turn off types of light that disturbs getting to and staying asleep, like smartphones, computers and tv. Basically get off the internet at night. :p

Medications can disrupt your circadian rhythm, too, if it keeps or requires you to sleep for too long and you end up sleeping in the day from tiredness. I don!t know whether that applies to you, but it can be a reason.

You could always do the hell week routine of forced inactivity and forced awakening at certain hours. I lived in a homeless shelter where they turned off all the lights at 1030pm and no matter at what hour you actuslly went to sleep, they turned them back on at 6am sharp, every day (and on top of that, you had to be fully dressed and complete and out by 7:25 no exceptions). It's forced timing and your body eventually adapts to meet its new demands.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  3. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

It'd be a bit hard to limit eating, since I wake up at night, but it's not really a hobby of mine either.

Yea, I used to read at night, then I end up spending a few hours reading, but it does seem to help. Plus getting caught up in a late night battle field session probably won't be much help..

Yup, on & off relationship with ambien and xan for years. But it went on before/after those. Sleeping all the time seems to run in my family, that might be part of it too.

Yea, I was on hell week at the hospital. I've tried staying up through one day, then crashing the next night (usually I miss my mark and stay up till 3) or sleeping through the entire day (wake up at 3) but I do get it sometimes. Then after day one, I go to a perfect schedule for like a week, then it just crashes again. But I've been thinking of doing that for a month, to get it long-term. Granted I just got a job working nights, and one during the day.. So I'm stumped now.

4. Lorax

Lorax Well-Known Member

I'll be damned, but my schedule is back on track. Got up a bit too early today, but it's starting to shift back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.