Sleepiness side effect of antidepressants

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Khvde, May 26, 2016.

1. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Hi. I will start an antidepressant called Selectra, it has sertralin in it. I take it for generalised anxiety.

I read that its common side effects are listed as sleepiness and lack of sleepiness at the same time.

Do you know how some people get more sleepy and others get less with the same antidepressant?

I just wondered because sleepiness is a side effect I would like to avoid because of my finals.
  2. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Khvde, I take Prozac and that is one of the effects. I take it in the morning which is not so bad yet you body will get used to it. I have not noticed any lack of sleepiness at night and can say it appears I sleep better because of it yet still sleep to long.
  3. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

Thank you mpk. Nice to meet you here by the way.
    Do every antidepressants make people sleepy?
    I searched sertraline, some people said their sleep time decreased and some said it increased. I hope mine gets decreased too. I sleep like 10 hours.

I tried taking Zedprex which is equvalant drug of Prozac, for two days but it made me really sleepy.
  4. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I think it depends on the person. When I started Lexapro it did not make me sleepy, but my GP told me to take it at bedtime if it did.

Do you take it in the morning or at night?
  5. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

As rockclimbing stated it depends yet I think most anti depressants do make you sleepy. Prozac does but you take it in the morning yet I have heard sometimes they say take it a night. I have always taken it in the morning and it does make me drowsy not to sleepy.
  6. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I will start taking sertraline tomorrow morning. :)

Thank you mpk and rockclimbinggirl. :)
  7. Khvde

Khvde Well-Known Member

I actually tried using concerta for ADD but methylphenidate ups my already existing anxiety. So I had to take something for my anxiety too.