Sleeping is a waste of time.

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by shounagatsuki, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shounagatsuki

shounagatsuki Member

....or so I thought.

I've been told that I'm workaholic, even though I still consider myself lazy. I'm a freelance manga illustrator and home tutor, as well as a student. Right now I'm in debt and forced to take more side jobs. At night I feel really restless and somehow my brain refuses to sleep, saying "Sleep is a waste of time, you could be drawing right now, or studying." I can only sleep 3-4 hours a day and sometimes I go 1-2 days without sleep at all. When I'm near deadline or exams, I only take power naps, each 90 minutes about 2-3 times a day usually during noon-afternoon. I've lived this way since high school, and now it finally takes its toll; I feel drained and dizzy all day. I had collapsed from exhaustion a few times. My mom seemed to worry because the case of 'death from work' is on the rise, especially after last year one of my friend died from constant stress in workplace and sleep deprivation. She had warned me to relax but I just can't. I feel overwhelmed with my tasks. I'd love to sleep like a normal person but I can't abandon my work and study.

Anyone else can relate?

2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

The average human will spend 1/3 or their life sleeping, which equates to about 20 - 25 years over 75 Year life span - so I can see how you thought up the title of your thread, but pretty much everything else within it, I would have to disagree with.
    That when you consider our waking lives, where all activities we do during the day, from walking, talking, swimming, working, school work (for the young'uns), sports even sleeping etc the body is constantly burning calories which revert to energy (1940 for women and 2500 for blokes on average per day) so sleeping is critical for every one in order to replenish their energy for the next day, and requires between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each day/night in order for you to be at the top of your game for the next day. Without that sleep, then not only do you feel lethargic, but irritable, because your brain has not been able to get the proper amount of rest it requires and that leads to irritability and loss of focus so that things one day were simple for you to work on and complete, the next day you find almost impossible to do (the reason why you feel drained and dizzy all day and even collapsed from exhaustion.)
    So I ask you, how much good can studying for tests or working be in the long run, if all your effort ends up going to waste because you have stayed up for days on end without sleep? In the end, without sleep, you can pretty much wave good-bye to any dreams you ever had of excelling in any other aspect of your life.

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

In theory, I agree. There is so much to do in life that I could never carve out enough time in a day to complete even a fraction of it. I have lists of things to do that I'll probably never get done. I hate the waste in time that sleep is.

Now with that said, the proper balance of sleep and wake is as vital to both physical and mental health as is healthy eating, reasonable goals and objectives, fresh air and sunlight, social interaction, and exercise.

You may actually discover that you achieve more in a day with proper sleep, vs. if you cut your sleep hours done to cram more activities or studies in. It's sad but true. Like you, though, I wish I could banish sleep from the life menu. :)

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

YOu would be more productive really if you had more sleep the mind can rest enough to be able to fuel more conscious effort into the next days agenda Talk to your doctor ok get into a sleep pattern more healthy for you so that you don't burn out hun your doctor can help you achieve that hugs

5. Joshy

Joshy Well-Known Member

I have a weird sleeping pattern.
    I stay awake for around 32 hours, then sleep 18 hours or even 22 hours. I have a lot of time to waste. Or maybe I'm just neglecting being alive. I haven't studied hard for anything in my life really. It was more like "If I get a D or C that's fine." So I never studied hard. But I think I have a very big compulsion to fill out question/problem on a paper. I'm seriously 100% unable to skip a question/problem. I'll stare at that little blank f**king space on my paper and freeze with my teeth clenched together with a meltdown of screaming at myself in my head happens.

^I never told anyone that.

That's probably why I can't get a job. Stuck on application forms. That and I'm extremely mute when it comes to socializing with any other human being.

6. shounagatsuki

shounagatsuki Member

I forget to say that I am completely aware about the importance of sleep and how sleep deprivation may lead to physical and mental exhaustion (if I'm still clueless after a friend died from too much studying/working then I'm an idiot *shrugs*), it's just that I am also very insomniac and paranoid. If I can't finish my tasks as quick as possible I can't get paid and go homeless.

I literally haven't been in direct sunlight for almost 3 months, probably the reason why my circadian rhythm is messed up. I'm a hikikomori/recluse. The farthest I can go outside is my room balcony. I know this is not healthy but my socialphobia is killing me, I can't go outside at all.

I can't afford a doctor. But yes I know sleep deprivation is not productive, but I'm too paranoid to even take a nap.

On the contrary, I'm quite obsessed about my grades. I was always got the first rank in grade and junior high school; in high school--after my dad's death--I became too depressed to actually study. I joined acceleration class that allowed me to 'cut' 1-2 years of studying, but required longer class (over 10 hours a day); I went to college at the age of 15 and let's say I wasn't prepared. I never really socialized in school, so college is quite a stress for me.

Can you sleep that long without getting stiff muscles? The last time I have the luxury to sleep for 8-9 hours, my body feels like a big chunk of unmoving rock.

7. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

But you got to rmemeber that when you don't sleep enough your muscles cannot relax at night and this can cause your body to ache a lot it will start as little dull aches you don't need a pk for and then gradually into a pain, the fatigue will set and you wil find you will be least productive as well feeling dizzy/hangover, headaches, plus mood swings and you will feel nausated and depressed. This can lead to low immunity, CFS/ME, arthritis and generally feeling like dogshit.

8. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

Trust me i have been in that boat myself for a number of years and i have been ill for quite sometime but i definitely think life stle has lot to do with it at one time i was working three jobs and only getting four hours asleep a night and studying as well as not eating my body has been through shit and back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.