sleeping issuse :(

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by 2-D, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

I have a few issuses, and im i believe i know the cause, yet this is of no help...

ok so here is the deal:

1) (the unrelated bit) I have tinitus (low level ringing sensation in the ears) so this adds AT LEAST half hour minimum to the time it takes for me to drop off

2) For the past week or so (nearly two weeks) I have been waking up on avereage 3 times a night (starts about 2 or 3 am) then again an hour or so then once more after that, and this is before i have to get up for the days crap

well i spose since i cant relax enough, reading, watching telly....other stuff dont help much, sorry for once more rambling on - but im at the point i am yawning once every few mins and very temporairly lossing balance and start falling over - even had the manager of the shop i volunteer at offered to take me home bout 1/2 hour i got there and i just seem generally more 'out of it' then normal

and worse of all i think its starting to affect my body clock :(
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

1) Put a fan in your room and have it on loudly when you go to sleep.
    2) Set up a bedtime and a morning time and follow it every day, with no TV or computer after bedtime and as few lights as possible. Especially try to not see any light when you wake in the night - keep your eyes closed.

As for falling asleep itself, count your breaths in your head, 1-10, and then start over counting every other breath, then every third breath, and so on. If you lose count start at the beginning. This is a form of meditation and it will clear your head and relieve any anxiety and let you fall out of consciousness. Also use this if you wake in the night.
  3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I agree with Aoeu-- you need some sort of white noise that is calming, like possibly a fishtank or a fan (fan works best for me)

You could try asking your doctor for some sleeping aids or even just some liquid codene to take while you are sick to help knock you out...
    Having to wake up a few times a night can be very irritating though.
    If you are doing any type of recreational drugs- that can cause you to have a fragmented sleeping pattern. (It could just be stress or thinking too much, as well- and that can be harder to stop.)

What I do sometimes when I'm very tired but can only manage to sleep at odd times of the day and only for a few hours is, stay up for at least 24 straight hours and go to sleep at whenever you'd like your bedtime to be. Sometimes that can help in resetting your internal clock and give you a good steady sleep.
  4. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions, they seem possible with my limited funds, the thing is with the waking up thing, i have two different times, 7am if i have morning things to attend to, and 10 (not that i ever lie in till 10) if its afternoon stuffs, the 7 am start is ingrained very strongly (even to the point i dont need an alarm >.<) but its just the bed time that is somewhat at odds, the normal time i head off to bed is somewhere between 10 and 11, depending on if summit is on the telly.

but what i said about it affectng my body clock is that i stop yawning continusly around 9.30 as if my body is starting to wake up which is what im worried about.

the last drug i took was some weak painkillers.

and yeah - i think its pretty much stress and thinking too much :(

ill try your meditation technique tonight aoeu :D and will report back tomorrow

thanks again both of you - this is (as well as the other main thing) is driving me insane
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Two different waking times is particularly destructive, even if they're only an hour apart. I'd suggest you always wake up at 7AM and just get used to sometimes not seeing shows you'd like.
  6. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

makes sence, the only shows i tend to stay up to watch is heroes, but thats like finished this coming sat, unless i can catch em on the web before then.

i guess ill have to try the 7am start thing even on the days i have off and afternoon stuffs then see if that helps things at all :)
  7. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

First off, sorry for the double post, but i did promise an update on how things went sleep wise:

was a bit bad in that i didnt start winding down for sleep until 11 - but my body seems to start waking up around 9.30/10 pm (or this is when i notice that i have near enough stopped yawning)

I tried the meditation method outlined in this thread, but it was no difference in the time i take to normally drop off :( (I was not expecting instant results) although this was with out the fan/other noise thing to drown out the tinitus.

bad thing was that I awoke 4 or 5 times last night starting from 2am :(

the on the plus side, i managed to wake up at 7am today
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The meditation thing will take time. You'll improve on it every time you try it. You really need the fan - it blocks the tinnitus and any external noise. Just keep at it.
  9. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

will do, ill have to wait till tomorrow to get the fan, and yeah - as i said in my update post, i was not expecting results, tho the extra wakings was unusual
  10. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

New update:
    awoke about 3 or 4 times (not as many as the night before) starting, once more at 2am again :(

I have no idea why, but when im practicing the meditation - random thoughts will pop in to my mind and make me loose count, is this like expected or am i just being odd and not focused enough?

but at least i only wanted to check the time once before i dropped off last night, so i cant be 100% sure how long it took, but im guessing about the same as normal

but the constant yawning is still with me, people must think im really rude cause yawning when talking to someone is (or can be) associated with being bored with said person...which i really dont mean :(
  11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

That is expected. That is the challenge: improving your concentration so that that doesn't happen.

Oh, I hadn't considered that. What kind of alarm clock do you use? Where is it located? You should locate it so that you can't check it without significant effort but so that it still functions as an alarm.

Are you keeping the steady schedule? You might need medication to help you, too, but it's better to try other means first.
  12. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

fair enough, it didnt happen much the first night, i lost track of breaths, last night however i was losing count cause of random thoughts floating by

i just use a little digital thing with a lil light when u hit a button and (obviously) set what time u want it to wake u up, currently its on the bedside table (well one of them) and it would be my instinct to seek out my clock anyway cause i was thinking maybe i should document exactly when i wake up, or maybe thats not good cause that would force my brain to think and fully wake me up, but then again i guess thats what the meditation is for

but no, im not writing down what times i wake up, but as just said, maybe i should?
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The thing about knowing what time it is is that it MAKES YOU CRAZY (and the light is bad.)

One thing that's the first thing to ever ask with regard to sleeping issues that I forgot: do you consume caffeine?
  14. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

lol-- ah, right...
    When you have trouble sleeping it's better *not* to look at the clock. Turn it away from yourself XD
  15. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

Aeou, I dont take in any caffine what so ever

well last night was perhaps a very bad night for me, was in bed at 24.40, awoke first at 02.34 and then again at 5.11 and i gave up the ghost of sleep at half past - and my eyes sting for some reason :(
  16. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

ive finally got around to getting an app at the docs about this, 26th may tho :( i really hope i get some heavy knock out tabs, as long as i dont wake up in the night - im not keen on the idea of therapy (for trying to find out what is causing this if its a mind thing) but i dont know why, but hypno therapy is looking slightly appealing, cause at least it would be a more un biased view.... from the subconsious rather then the not making sence again am i?
  17. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

A good therapist won't have problems. If you're willing to work with her it'll probably work out.

Any update on sleep?
  18. Friend

Friend Well-Known Member

I do not function without sleep. The difference between three hours of sleep and eight hours of sleep is the difference between life or death for me. What works for me is 50 or 100 mg of 5-htp at night 90 minutes before I want to be asleep (100 mg when I really need it). It's an amino acid sold commonly in health food stores (for the better brands, which are worth it in my opinion) and in grocery stores (sometimes they have decent brands as well). I've been taking it for over a year now; it isn't harmful to me, but I don't take prescription anti-depressants or any other pharmaceuticals, so there isn't any potentiating or interference. In my opinion 5-htp by itself is much more effective than melatonin, valerian root, and kava kava tea all combined. Another thing that works for me is benadryl, but I feel that benadryl isn't healthy for me unlike the 5-hydroxytryptophan.

I'd say I wear earplugs while sleeping as often as two or three nights a week. All of the background noise from roommates, other TVs and radios, the floor creaking while they walk around, cars bumping music outside, all of it completely disappears. I do not know what I would do without my earplugs.

Having a fan on also works wonders for me that I can relax enough to fall asleep. It seems to properly set the stage for relaxation and dreamtime by making me feel like I am in a peacefully-humming sleep chamber or UFO or something when I'm in my bed.

Another thing, focus on nothing, this is easier said than done of course, but I try and simply forget about all the crap that is going on with the world. I just shut the thoughts off like a switch. I worship my sleeptime, and so like a cat in a dark cave, unwinding and shutting down in the darkness for some deadtime is my only concern. Combined these things really work well for me. I hope this helps. Peace.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2010
  19. 2-D

2-D Well-Known Member

Mmm, the reason im not too keen on therapy is cause mainly i dont want to my judged or embarrase myself - where as hypno therapy might make me more relaxed.

I have started reading for the past couple of nights, only about 10 mins or so beore i start breathing exercises and it has sort of helped (downed the number of times i wake up by 1 or 2) but its hard to concentrate on nothing when i have the ringing going on :( i would get a fan, but think idd need a battery opperated one (dont want to drive up the electric bill just for some sleep) but im still feeling almost zombie like - and with the manager at the shop i work out trying to force me in to this, that and the other - it aint that good :(
  20. summerschild

summerschild Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I may have something that can help you. Now I'm not sure if this is available in England but you can check with your doctor about it. Here is a homeopathic medicine just for tinnitus.

I hope it can give you some relief. As for the other the sleeping problem my suggestion for that is melatonin. It is a natural sleep aid and is not supposed to be habit forming.

If I can be of any help in other ways please let me know. I am a PM or email away.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.