Sleeping Meds Causing...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I got prescribed sleep medication & it was working amazingly until recently when they've started causing me to have night-terrors to the extreme. It takes me anywhere from 10-45 minutes just to "get-out" of the night-terror when I first start to wake up.
    As soon as I get up I need to sit in a well lit part of the room because I'm convienced Im still in the nightmare. I get uber paranoid, terrified & become delusional which can be a problem when I'm the only one home alone.
    I'm only asking because a) I'm not sure if this is common b) Is there any suggestions for what I can do? I can't see my doctor till the spring & c) Has anyone else had this? Can this become dangerous?
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the name of the med so I didn't.

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Yes, in this instance knowing what the medication is will help. The guidelines about naming meds generally refer to not posting them as a method for overdosing or for advertising purposes.

So please let us know what medication it is as there may be members here who have experience with the one you are using or one which is similar.

3. PandorasToybox

Thanks Shades

It's Trazodone.

4. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

Trazodone can couse nightmare as one of the side effects...its okay....but you need to discuss this side effect with your Dr.
    take care :hug:

PS:im Pharmacy tec. student...im not taking this medication

5. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Can you not get an appointment with a replacement doctor? I'm sure they can find someone else to see you until he gets back, as they never know when you may need a doctor and can't expect you to wait that long.

If this seriously can't be arranged, personally I'd stop taking them for a while, until you can get an alternative medication sorted out. Even if you do see a doctor, (s)he isn't going to automatically stop the side effects from happening, so you'd most likely get your medication switched anyway. Therefore, either way you won't be taking them anymore. Unless I'm wrong? I don't really have a huge amount of experience on this type of thing, but common sense tells me that unless you're willing to put up with these night terrors that you'll be taken off the medication anyway, if so desired.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's too serious a side effect to ignore. There's better medications if you get bad side effects.

7. PandorasToybox

Thanks for the R&Rs. No.doctor wise, you're lucky in our city right now to be able to see a doctor period, much less find a replacement. Sad, I know. Health care in Canada sucks right now..."free" if you can find it.

I guess I'm going to look into natural methods for now.

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

What city are you in? You should be able to find a walk-in clinic pretty easily. I've lived in Edmonton and Toronto in the past 2 years and there are walk-ins all over the place, and typically drop in psychiatry at hospitals.

9. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

You can't go into a walking clinic? Or the emergency? Some clinic have walk in days, you have to go early and maybe wait a while...but it would be worth it for your health...

10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I take trazadone also for sleep.. I haven't had any side affects like that..My only problem is it doesn't keep me asleep.. I still wake up anywhere from 1:30 to 3:30..I have met people who trazadone didn't help..It's main function is it is another antidepressant..Do you see a therapist?? Maybe they can help you better understand why your having these dreams..

11. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

I tazradone as well as 3 other meds at night to help me sleep, and stay asleep. I have been on it for a few months now and lastnight was my first night terror. I didn't think much of it because I have always had severe nightmares.

12. PandorasToybox

Thanks for the R&R.

I live in a fairly small & not together city, so even walk in clinics are hard to get into. With have one psychiatrist in town & I've been on the wait list for well over 6months now & I keep getting pushed down the list.
    The ER is not welcoming to psychiatrict cases (pathetic in my opinion)and they shut down the psych. hospital just this past year & eliminated the crisis program.
    It's being looked at as a crisis in our city: they are always saying in the papers, how they want to start a 24/7 psychiatrict ER... but there's no funding or support :mad:
    I've been to the walk in clinics, but the thing is, that they cant monitor your meds & therefore they tend to hesitate to prescribe things. You get the "light" stuff..& it never works for me.
    It's dumb...
    I didnt take the sleep meds last night & I didn't sleep more than 2 hours. However there were no nightterrors, which psychologically, is a relief!

13. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

There are some other ways of helping yourself drift off to sleep. I have problems sleeping & staying asleep too, but I found a little chapter in my Cognitive Behavioural Therapy book that gives you tips on having a good nights sleep. They've helped me get a bit more sleep than I'm used to so far, and at all the right times, so it could help for you too, if you haven't already tried these things.

Get some exercise - Exercise is good for your mood and for your sleeping. You can take vigorous exercise during the day or even first thing in the morning to get your endorphins ('feel good' chemicals in your brain) charging. If you want to take some exercise in the evenings to help you wind down and de-stress, keep it gentle and not too close to your bedtime. A stroll, or an easy cycle ride, is an ideal choice.

Establish a schedule - Getting up at the same time everyday and avoiding daytime naps can help you get your sleeping back on track. Catnapping may be very tempting, but ultimately it interferes with your bedtime and can actually lower your mood.

Avoid lying in bed awake - If you find dropping off to sleep difficult, don't lie in bed tossing and turning. Get out of bed and do something - ideally, something boring like sorting laundry or reading a book on something you find dull, drinking something warm and low-in-caffeine, such as milk or cocoa - until you feel ready for sleep. Try and stay up until your eyelids start to feel heavy. The same applies, if you wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep easily. Don't stay in bed longer than ten minutes trying to get back to sleep. Get up and do something like the above ideas, then get back into bed only when you feel sleepy.

Watch your caffeine and stimulant intake - Avoid caffeinated drinks from mid- to late-afternoon. Caffeine can stay in your system for a long time. Remember that as well as tea and coffee, many soft drinks, chocolate (although not so much), and various energy drinks contain caffeine. Even some herbal tea contain stimulants, such as matte and guarana.

Establish a bedtime routine - Going through the same pre-bedtime procedures each night can help your mind realise that it's getting near to shutdown time. Your routine may include having a warm bath, listening to a soothing radio programme, or having a warm, milky drink, or whatever works for you. Sometimes having a very light, easily disgestible snack before bedtime is a good idea to prevent sleep disturbance associated with going to bed hungry.

Setting realistic sleep expectations - During the day and while you try to fall asleep, you may well have thoughts like 'I'll never be able to get to sleep' or 'I'm in for another night of waking up every two hours'. Understandably, you may have these expectations if your sleep has been disturbed for some time, but such thinking is likely to perpetuate your sleep disturbance. Be aware of your worrying thoughts about sleep problems, such as 'I'll never cope on such little sleep' or 'I've got to get some sleep tonight'. Trying to force yourself to go to sleep is rarely successful, and doing so contradicts the concept of relaxation, because you're making an effort to sleep.

Although it may sound like a tall order, try to take the attitude that you can cope with very little, or poor-quality sleep. Also, answer back to your sleep expectations by briefly telling yourself that you don't know for definate how you may sleep tonight and that you're just going to see how it goes.

That last one really helped me get some more sleep at night, as I stopped having demands and expectations from my nights sleep and instead just completely relaxed and accepted I may not get the sleep I want or need, but that I'd try giving it a go anyway. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck ! :smile:

14. stanelyshane

stanelyshane New Member

To get the deep sleep you should require to control of your thoughts. For that you should do the breath exercise before going to sleep which helps to feel the relax and keep far from the stress, worries and hyper tension.

15. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I have been on it but didn't have any bad side effects. I think you are wise to come off it, that sounds like a pretty bad side effect. I am suprised your doctor would prescribe medicine without help or support in place.

If it were me i would have some time off it a week or so, then you could try;

Every other night to see if you can get some use from it, but with out that side effect.

You could try not using for a week then starting again, maybe the symtoms will go away.

I guess you are taking 50mg, but if you are taking 100mg you could try taking half see if you can lose the side effects.

Anyways i hope you get this sorted.

16. byebyebeautiful

byebyebeautiful Account Closed

Hey, I suffered the same problem as you with the night terrors. What I did (I was on a fairly high dose in the evenings and then a small one in mornings)
    I cut out a persentage of the dose (stopped my morning ones) and gradually reduced the dose. Then I'd take the smallest dose that would keep me asleep for 4-6 hours every 3 days (or however often i needed it) this helped me to just able manage the nightmares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.