sleeping pill that won't make you develop a tolerance

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by VALIS, Jan 10, 2008.

1. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I understand that sleeping pills are by nature addicting because you need them every night to go to sleep.

but is there one or more of them that I won't build up an immunity to over time? Like the same dose will work every night for an extended period?

and also without grogginess the next day, or minimal grogginess?

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Ambien CR is awesome, but available only by prescription.

I use "Simply Sleep" and it works pretty great, but don't take any pills unless you can sleep 8 hours, otherwise you'll feel very groggy the next day.

3. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

All right I'll try to get my paws on some CR.
    Done with the herbals, the tricks and all of that. Nothing effing works, I tell you. I've cut out caffeine, meditated before bed, exercised a few hours before bedtime, eaten healthy and not eaten before bed, de-stressed, listened to frequency beats and soothing ocean sounds, popped melatonin and klonopin, even tried the unconventional and smoked pot, took shots, had strenuous intercourse, and none of these tricks will put me to sleep. Not even on those nights when I tried them all. :mellow:
    I am officially giving up.

4. Rawr

Rawr Active Member

Hey i got some sleeping tablets from my doctor but all the do is make me drousey (sp?) and still dont make me sleep.
    Does anyone know anything i can get to help me sleep..considering i am 15 years old?

Thanks.

5. faeriegirl

faeriegirl Active Member

Ambien, Lunesta, all of those can cause dependance. If you want a med that will help you sleep without risk of tolerance, your best bets are Seroquel, Trazadone, or a low dose of Remeron (Remeron tends to be less sedating the higher in dosage you go, so something like 15mgs would be good for sleep)

6. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Well, I've been put on Neurontin for sleeping

apparently it's used for recovering alcoholics with addictive personalities, i am not an alcoholic but still have trouble sleeping and don't want an addiction, i've been addicted to various things and its no fun for the self esteem

typically neurontin/GABa pentin is for seizures and nerve pain associated with the herpes virus- how weird is that?

the way/reason it works is unknown, i hate when they say that because if they don't know why it works but it works on insomnia, herpes(!), and seizures what's to say it won't give me a third arm or an anal tumor. God, doctors piss me off.

so far i am definitely not addicted to it and will only use it on nights i absolutely can't sleep and absolutely need to get at least 5 hours or so. seems all right. can't recommend it though, i'd hate to be responsible for someone's butt cancer. ha.