Sleeping pills not working anymore?

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by anhedonia, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anhedonia

anhedonia Member

So I've taken the 5mg valium my psychiatrist prescribed to me to help me sleep.

That was hours ago.

I'm wondering whether I should just self medicate and take another pill. Otherwise, I won't be able sleep. And even when I do, I've been having the most horrific nightmares - most of which involve me dying. Oh well. I'll just pop another one and see where it goes.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You have probably built up a tolerance to valium. This happens fairly quickly with benzos. You should speak to your doctor about increasing the dose hun, never increase the dose without your doctor giving you the go ahead especially if you've never done it before.
  3. colt45

colt45 Well-Known Member

I can not sleep even when I have sleeping pills at times.

All of my worries just seen to catch up with me.
  4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Welcome to SF. DaisyChain is right on about the valium. Also, for myself and others I know, it's not great for sleep after the first few times. Like Daisy said, you build up a tolerance quite quickly.

Maybe you could talk to your doc. about a mild sleeping pill, like a low dose of ambien (this works for some I know, but toerance an issue here also) or Rozerum (not sure of spelling).

Keep us posted! Take care!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.