Sleeping sickness

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Lost in translation, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lost in translation

Lost in translation Active Member

As the title states that's what I'm dealing with at the moment. I think sleeping and depression/suicidal thoughts go hand in hand. Meaning the only time I really feel safe from my thoughts or lack there of, is when I'm sleeping. It's as if everything disappears and I'm in a safe place free of judgement and pain. So in turn, sleep has become my favourite part of the day, feeling so much relief when it's time for bed. Now having said all that, Im having a hard time developing a normal sleeping pattern. For example, ill be struggling to stay awake yet I can't sleep, and when I do, I tend to only get a few hours before I wake with a thought and become restless again. Also sometimes after sleeping when I awake my first thought is "oh ya that's right I wasn't dreaming....this is my life"

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Excessive sleeping is a relatively common symptom of depression - that "safe" feeling you get from oblivion and not having to deal with life or struggle with feeling crappy. If you have messed up your body clock it is not surprising that you are struggling to sleep sometimes. This happened to me and I didn't really fix it until I got a job and was forced to be awake "normal" times. Are you taking medication? Seeing a doctor about the depression and the sleeping issues would be a good move - and maybe trying to resent your sleeping patterns?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.