Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by underdosed, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underdosed

underdosed Guest

(not sure where to post this)
    i think ive been sleep walking
    i wake up and im sore and i have random bruises
    sometimes im on the floor and sometimes ive changed my shirt or removed it or whatever
    just seems strange
    is anyone familiar with sleepwalking?
  2. Syd

Syd Guest

I believe this is more common with heavy sleepers. I'm usually a light sleeper, so this is something that could never happen to me. I'm sensitive and tend to wake up as soon I start moving. Sometimes I get "startled" out of a dream, for example.

With sleep walkers, they could be having an intense dream, but instead of being startled - they may actually start moving around while dreaming! This is of course what happens during sessions of sleepwalking. It might seem dangerous, but it's not as bad as it sounds. These people may appear awake, and usually can see and react to the environment around them.

While their senses may function normally, they're not thinking the same way. Their memory and critical thinking are obviously not reliable in such a trance-like state. Dreams can induce auditory and visual hallucinations which combine with the real environment around them, and that's what poses the most danger. Usually sleepwalkers return to bed safely, and only rarely (in cases of disturbing dreams) would someone turn violent and hurt themselves or others. It's a lot like being high for several hours under a powerful drug. You're not likely to remember anything, but usually nothing bad happens, except maybe a lot of drooling and walking around like a dumb drunkard. ;)

If you think you're sleepwalking, try leaving a camcorder on in your room at night, aimed towards your bed. If you're a sleepwalker, you'll probably be able to catch it on tape eventually.

After confirming that you sleepwalk on occasion, ask a doctor or therapist about medication or other treatment if it bothers you. I don't really know much about it, but you might be able to improve the quality of your sleep. Good luck.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  3. sallyanne811

sallyanne811 New Member

hi sleepwalker,

i'm new to this site too and i don't know if my advice is much help to you but when i can't sleep soundly and wander around the house, I recite the Lord's Prayer over and over again until I start believing it. try it, it just might work for you too.
  4. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

I used to sleep walk as a kid :( Dunnu what really to say about it, but if youre scared you might cause yourself serious harm, i would definantly discuss it with a doc. Understand it bothers you,m perhaps you want to try some kind of relaxation techniques before you go to sleep, or have calm music playing while you are asleep that helps you to have nice dreams??
    Good luck hun,
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  5. sarahg

sarahg Well-Known Member

hi my son sleep walks hope this helps
    my son would try yto get out of the home,dress himself,but never remember
    i took him to doctors as so worried he may hurt himself
    they sais many sleepwalkers have a drop in sugar levels so he now eats a banana before bed and its helped alot
    also i had to stop the playststion and any stimuli an hour before his bed
    good luck and if you find anything that helps please let me know ty
  6. underdosed

underdosed Guest

wow thats all very interesting
    the drop in sugar would make sense since ive been feeling light headed and unbalanced during the day (idk if its a side affect from the overdose tho)
    i think when im at the doctor for my HPV shot ill ask her about it
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.