Slipping backwards?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by kindtosnails, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

So, I haven't SI'd in any way for a week since my slip and before that was about 6 weeks I think so that's like 7 weeks with one really minor cut, which is the longest in 2/3 yrs so..that's good right? i get that, its just its getting harder, not easier. Everythings a bit, well a lot shit atm, I'm kinda running out of ways to cope. Thing is, when the slip up happened I was kinda proud that it was just this one really small cut, so restrained, but now its like its some kind of bargaining tool, like I'm thinking well 7 weeks with two slips thats not so bad is it? Guess I'm wondering if anyone had any experiences on reducing or giving up SI that they could share, or alternatively some sort of heavy bat to whack me round the head and tell me to get over it all...

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Well done, you should be really proud of yourself.

There are lots of things you can do to try and help yourself quit.

Firstly you need to try and figure out why you are urging, is it because you are angry/bored/upset/happy, and then try to stop yourself accordingly, ie if it is because you are bored, then go and do soemthing like see friends, if it is because you are angry try mashing up a banana or scribbling over a sheet of paper, or going for a run. There are lots of other suggestions I have, but given I don't know what triggers you to cut it would be pointless me saying, but you can PM me if you want more.

Also, another way to stop the need for SI is to deal with the inner pain that is causing you to cut, or urge. Do you have any professional help, like a therapist/counsellor/psych or anyone? If not, it might be worth trying to find one so that you can deal with the pain inside.

Something that works for some people is to treat themselves, like set a target and then when you reach it, treat yourself to something positive as an incentive to keep going.

It is important to remember that slip-ups are common and normal when recovering. It is your mentality that is improtant, if you see it as a slip, and intend to carry on with your recovery then you will get there.

Think about it like a journey, any journey you go on you need breaks and rests to help you the rest of the way. You will get there if you keep trying.

Right now you are on the way and doing brilliantly.

Keep fighting, and like I said, feel free to PM me if you want

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.