Smart/Strong ppl apparently arent allow to try suicide..

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by PandorasToybox, Mar 16, 2010.

1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Ok so I was talking to my counsellor & him & I are quite close soooo I always expect him to be honest w/ me.
    First he tells me I'm too smart & too strong to commit suicide. He said that if I made an attempt he would blame me & hold me responsilble.
    BUT
    He said that other students that go in there that arent "strong" like me, when they make an attempt, they cant be held responsible.
    I say a strong person is like a bridge.
    We see a bridge. We think bridges are strong because they can hold up a bloody car. But put too much weight on a bridge (too many cars) & its gonnA friggin snap like a nacho chip!
    "Strong" people are the same...too much can make them snap! (especially when u drive a car over them).
    So EXCUSE ME for being smart Mr. Counsellor!

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

:hug: I hate that. Did you tell him how you felt after he said that? I think that he is wrong, but its a very common way to talk to people.

Being strong and smart is obviously a complement and a good thing, but it doesn't mean you can't hurt, or are any more or less responsible than someone else.

3. PandorasToybox

Oh did I ever let him know...he was changing his tune after I let him have my opinion on the topic... I HATE when people get under my skin

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Awesome! Good for you!

5. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I am suprised that he was allowed to get away with that in the first place. Just imagine him telling the entire school that.

6. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm glad you told him how you feel!

7. PandorasToybox

lightbeam- Thats what shocked me the most. It was totally out of character for him...I thought I was going to be sick (I regretted not doing so...).. I think maybe because... well he bonds to students more than maybe other counsellors would/should? Which hasnt been a bad thing for me, especially with my family members being MIA lately...but I think maybe thats his way of guilting us out of any attempts? Is it right? H*LLLLL NO!! I just dont think he could cope w/ losing students...but again Im not so fond of his technique.

8. alison

alison Well-Known Member

That's lame, I can't believe he said that to you.. Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you can't have issues. Plus, there's all types of smart. It just doesn't make sense.

9. stevs2

stevs2 Active Member

My therapist, who is a prick by the way, made me sign an agreement I wouldn't attempt suicide while under his care. I signed it, but thought who cares? What's he gonna do, yell at me? I'd be dead, so he could kiss my butt!

Not all therapists are created equal apparently.

10. PandorasToybox

Ya, I myself dont really understand the point of a suicide contract. Like if I make an attempt do I blow up or automatically go to h*ll...or maybe the FBI shows up, I dont know...

11. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the contract gets them "off the hook" if you do away with yourself....
    no law suits .....
    I am appalled at what the councelor said to you....
    what was he thinking????!!!!!

12. PandorasToybox

Omg, I was in so much shock when he said it! I had stop for a second & think "did he really just say that?!" but no he said it. Like I said I think hes having his own issues.

13. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Guilting students out of fear of losing them is a bad way if going about it. Being supportive should be emphasized in their training for the position. If they personally can't handle it, that's their problem. They are there to represent the school, not the other way around.

14. PandorasToybox

True. I guess it raises the question too what is considered appropriate when it comes to counsellor-student relationships. Again, I think its emotions getting in the way. I gave him a piece of my mind, & essentially tried to put him in his place...he was very much out of line.
    He also lacks of self-confidence (either its that obvious or Im becoming that sensitive to peoples behaviour, emotions, etc) & he always claims that this isnt really what he's trained for. However I think thats him just trying to avoid going down certain roads...especially ones that remind him of his own issues ( him & I have alot in common...he's adopted, Im adopted, he's divorced, I've had two sets of parents divorce, etc).