Smoking: A Form Of Self-Harm?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Spikey, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

I smoke, because I'm addicted, also because I like the damage it is doing to me, knowing it is slowly shortening my life.
    I was wondering if anyone else smoked for the "damage" reason?

2. BelovedDreamer

BelovedDreamer Well-Known Member

Hell yah, me too. Societally acceptable suicide. I'm addicted to the sensation and to some degree to the nicotine, but it is definitely on my part a deliberate form of self harm. One of the few I can do in plain sight of the world. I have always found smoking comforting, and I think this is partly influenced by the childish fact that when I just can't deal with the shit in my life I find the thought of suicide comforting. Feel helpless? Smoke some cancer candy...it's something you can control. Your choice. Etc.
    Expensive habit though...

3. Lucie

Lucie Well-Known Member

Yeah I like when the smoke burns my throat.

4. scared_child

scared_child Account Closed

I smoke because its addicting and plainly because I can, and no one can stop me. It also just calms me down. But, no, I don't think for me it is a form of self harm.

5. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think given everyone should know the damage smoking does to your health these days, yes I consider it a form of self harm...but its not as immediately destructive as cutting yourself, or burning yourself, even though those wounds will heal.

6. poison

poison Well-Known Member

that's just illogical in my opinion... I don't think it's a form of self-harm because not a lot of people smoke in the jurisdiction of wanting to kill themselves/relieve emotions.

7. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

But if some people do then surely it's a form of self harm for those people.

What is and isn't self injury is subjective. Okay, so everyone agrees that cutting your wrists is self injury. But things like drinking too much or smoking cigarettes are forms of self injury for some and genuine 'recreation' for others.

8. poison

poison Well-Known Member

thats what I was getting at. I was just saying, generally, most people don't smoke or drink self-injury wise.

9. Syd

Syd Guest

It's funny. Probably 90% of my friends (even my best friend at age 10) all got addicted. Yet, I would try smoking countless times, never liked it. Eventually I just gave up, decided I hate cigarettes and will never smoke. It's cool if others choose to smoke, I just think it tastes like crap.

10. music_addict

music_addict Well-Known Member

I smoke because i go through painful withdrawals if i dont. Seriously, i tried quitting a couple of times cold turkey but the pain and NEED for a smoke overcame it. have you seen trainspotting? its seriously like that.

11. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

it can be. i guess it depends on your motives..like anything. i guess its personal and the person in question will know whether they are or not...but saying that, are people always aware of SH..or is it subconcious..that sounds weird but how many SIers actively conciously thought about it before they made the first cut/scratch/burn/whatever or was it something they realised afterwards. I've heard stories of people knowing that friends do it and starting SI that way or even being told to by friends..is that not similar to social presures on people to smoke? or drink heavily? I may be talking crap here and feel free to prove me wrong..just thinking out loud.

personally, i wont let myself smoke anymore. because i know i wont stop. and i dont need any new addictions. :wink:

12. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

This is something that I've just taken up for the sole purpose of causing myself more pain... both in the smoking and in using the cigarette to burn myself. Makes a change from the cutting..! :sad: :smoke:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.