Smoking addiction, please help

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Petal, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I started smoking age 13/14? I was allowed to smoke which I think may have contributed to the problem. Going to school, I was given cigarettes because I did ask for them. From the ages of 13-18 I smoked about 20 cigarettes a day, I am 25 now, the smoking varies....sometimes 30 sometimes 50. So we will say about 40.

I was born with asthma and I am in trouble with my lungs, I have lung appointments every so often. Last christmas I got recurrent pneumonia and was very ill, I was hospitalized. There is no way I am going through that again.No way. Now the problem is I LOVE smoking not going to deny it, I LOVE it, it calms me, helps my anxiety but it's a dirty habit that I would love to kick.

I have tried everything to stop smoking the e cigs(they did not help at all, don't care what others say about them, absolutely hate them and they are no help), inhaler,gum,anti smoking tablets(champix), patches. The best of those were the gum. The gum was strong and felt like cigarettes, in 2008, I managed to quit for 3 weeks using them.

I HAVE to stop. I have got 210 pieces of the gum off the doctor at the strongest strength. I need to find the strength to kick this habit but I CANNOT find it! Could anyone advise me please? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

2. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Hi :), good to hear you are giving up. I think just starting and getting the first few days out of the way can help as it makes me feel more encouraged and have a stronger outlook. Not that i would suggest you get drunk but a hangover stops me from smoking so i would quit on a day i am hung over, this would give me day one done. Maybe you could plan the first few days by lying in and get some nice food you like and renting a dvd boxset, keeping yourself occupied.

After stopping it takes three or four days for nicotine to be out of your system, then it's just because we like it that makes us still want them. That's why i just go cold turkey :turkey:. Me wanting them is easier than me wanting them plus addiction to nicotine.

The chewing gum can really help but it will also keep putting nicotine into your system so you will still have the addictive substance in your body and lets face it smoking is a better hit than the gum so temptation is more there i feel with the products.

I also believe it's how you look at the quitting, you can say "i have quit" which is the end, or "i am quitting". "I am quitting" suggests you have not quit yet and you can have another one.

I think the main thing is just to try, you have done it before so you can do it :), you might fail but keep trying.

I will be doing the same very soon. Good luck and best wishes.

3. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

what cigs do you smoke? try same brand but less potent. this advice sucks a bit cause ultimately wanna quit but may aid short term

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
  4. Thereality

Thereality New Member

I was nowhere near as addicted as that but I just recently quit smoking tobacco and cannabis (Cannabis wasn't that much of a problem it was the tobacco that was mixed) after a year straight of smoking every day, I wouldn't smoke nowhere near as much as you but the way I got over it was by looking deep in myself what I wanted, I'd get up and just run out of my house and keep running until I'd throw up and I'd feel that my chest would be so wheezy. I kept going day after day sometimes I wouldn't but I would make up for it when I went to run again, eventually when I was getting out of breath, breathing became better and I could tell it was because the wheeziness was going.

I'd just suggest staying physically active, change of diet and anything that always contributes to a positive lifestyle!

5. AlCal

AlCal Member

Good for you for quitting! Asthma and smoking are not a good combo. I agree with Thereality, stay active, find something else to do when you feel like having a cig and make sure it is not easy for you to smoke. Get rid of all your cigs, lighters, ashtrays etc. I've also heard of people chewing on a straw to help with the oral fix. Don't know if this will help, but good luck!

6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I have the same problem Petal, been a smoker for over 40 years and have tried everything.
    E cigs helped cut me down, but I always still hanker (and smoke) ordinary cigs.
    Maybe we should pick a day and do it together, we can buddy system like they do in AA.
    At least we'll both understand if one or both of us succumb, and we can help each other get back on track.

7. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion, but have you tried any kind of support group or therapy in combination with the gum? It is after all an addiction like any other, so just using a nicotine substitute without any other kind of treatment is a recipe for failure for a lot of people cause the gum only takes care of physical cravings but there's still the whole mental aspect of it. First things first though, are you actually 100% ready to quit? And I only ask because it is possible to want to quit, but still not be ready to. That's kind of the place I'm at right now. I'd love to not have to spend so much money on cigarettes, and would like to quit, but don't really want to put forth all the effort required to do so. And that's obviously necessary. In addition, you should probably write out some kind of plan for yourself regarding things you could do in place of smoking if you're really craving, especially after eating meals, and other times when you're most likely to smoke a cigarette. And again, just like with other additions, it helps some people to have phone numbers of people they can call to help them through it in times of need.

8. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

As you know I was a heavy smoker my worse forty a day, slowely I cut down painfully almost even having an alarm go off when I could have one. It's a sort of multi angled aporoach to stop, first you need distractions stress free ones, and secondly you need help. Everyone is different in what works, but I also found e-cigs rubbish.

I used patches thing about them is you have to leave it two hours after taking it off to have a smoke, otherwise you could risk a stroke so pretty good motivation there for me. Secondly I didn't stop I allowed myself up to three on an evening so I knew I could take my patch off and after two hours have a couple, eventually six weeks after thati stopped having the couple they turned to one turned to none.

We are all different with them having asthma as well I have to tell you the aches and pains in my lungs have gone, coughing stopped. Best of all someone actually said I looked really well and had colour in my cheeks.

If I can help in anyway PM me if you like, I really hope you manage to quit though.

9. snogo

snogo Well-Known Member

I may not have a smoking addiction, but I am addicted to other things like using the PC and surfing the internet too often, even when it should be sleeping time. When something such as cigarettes are so easily available, quitting can be a challenge.

I would go along with AOM's suggestion. Ask yourself the important questions like whether you are really ready to quit and write down a draft plan to see it through. I wonder if you have heard of support groups like Nicotine Anonymous (just giving an example here). The main point is, I hope in addition to seeking professional help, you can try asking for reliable support groups to approach.

As you can see, you are not alone. Think about the final and more lasting reward to help motivate you - say goodbye to time and money-consuming lung appointments and hello to good health (keeping asthma and pneumonia in check).

10. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Limit stress as much as can I'd say is most vital imo, hard I know though but stress can undo all the hard work in all but half a second. I literally locked myself indoors for the first 3 days of swinging from the lamp shades. Smoking is also a ritual. Think of the things you associate with smoking and try and change them as much as can. Like smoking after a meal, at bus stop and stuff.
    Finally what helped me massively as well (and people look at me weird when I tell them this), is repeatedly telling self its not you that wants the cigarette, its the nicotine holding your brain hostage that wants it. Do you want to be in control or do you want the nicotine to control you and so on. When you give up you will realise this. I have been off them for a year now and on occasion I still feel like I want a cigarette but the major realisation/difference is that I don't NEED a cigarette any more and that just shows how much nicotine fights you for control of your brain. Fight back, its your brain.

Best of luck :hug:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  11. Petal

Hey again everyone. I have triple read all of the replies. There is one thing I forgot to mention when posting originally, I am currently on a diet program losing weight (have lost 3 stone so far) so going good at that and motivation is high. Would giving up cigarettes affect the weight loss/ healthy eating plans, for example causing me to eat more if I was not smoking.
    However, I have been getting pains in my lungs recently and let me tell you. They are scary!!!! So I would say yes I am READY to QUIT for GOOD lol!

Terry I think it would be a great idea for us to quit together. This is an Irish quit smoking site but think it would be very helpful to you, see here http://www.quit.ie/en/inner/the_benefits_of_quitting?gclid=CMDyqojV3sACFSFj2wodclIA2A I hope that we could figure out how we are going to do it, get what we need to aid us in doing it, then setting a date and getting the plan in action! If anyone else wants to join we can make a special thread for us to support each other, and moan and complain lol! Also the website calculates how much you would save and also it will set a date that you picked and count onwards from there. It will tell you how high your addiction is and what your triggers are which seems very promising :) It also has great ideas on what you should do in ''high risk situations''

I like this fact about quitting smoking:

Within 20 minutes your circulation will improve, your heart rate and blood pressure will get lower. This reduces your risk of heart attack straight away.

I can finally say I am ready to kick this dirty habit. Someone here mentioned chewing on straws, I think that may be useful , thanks for that and if anyone has anymore useful ideas feel free to post them :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2014
  12. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

I don't smoke, but as a non-smoker, i can tell you that everyone who's smoking stinks like a pig. Actually, it's more pleasant to smell pig than someone who smokes. No offense. I mean it well. Because i know that you smokers can't smell that stink from you, it could help you to quit smoking if you knew how horribly you stink when you smoke. Now, that was maybe too honest, i know. Sorry about that.

Now some true advice from me. Not sure if you know about it, but i met a guy who was smoking this cigarette that works on batteries and it has no nicotine. When he was smoking that, it smelled quite good actually. Like vanilla or something like that. He said he just have to buy that filling into it and refill it every time it runs out. And he also said that it helped him to quit smoking. So maybe you could try. I don't know how this cigarette is called, especially in english. But i'm sure you knew about that. I know there is also one with nicotine that uses batteries, but this one has no nicotine and smells good :)

Good luck.

13. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the cigarettes that work on batteries Viktor is talking about, are e-cigarettes. Electric cigarettes. They do generally have nicotine in them and they vary in strength. The 'brand' I have uses a 0 - 18 system, 18 being th strongest (equivalent to about 60 cigs a day) and 0 being no nicotine (for those who have lowered their dose and are just using them for the habit). I'm currently on a 12, and whilst it is in no way like smoking .. it does have a similar effect to smoking in regards to my anxiety. That being said, I'm on my e-cig when I go out in the evenings so I don't have to go outside, but I'm on normal cigs the rest of the day. Still better than I was doing before, but not where I want to be. I'mm with Petal - the gum seems to be best, but it seems to cost quite a lot, and I'm not allowed it at work so I don't bother.

14. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Well, the guy i met said it has 0 nicotine and he said he stopped smoking thanks to that. And it also smelled nice. So i don't know. But i don't wanna post some bad advices here, sorry if i did. I just remembered this guy so i posted it.

15. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

Cold Turkey is the best but hardest at same time. If can make it 3 days with out any nicotine replacement, all of the nicotine will be flushed from your system and makes things easier after that. Saying that what ever works for you though what helped me was not thinking about it as giving up smoking, but thinking about it as ridding self of the invasive nasty nicotine bandit, hi jacking my brain. Any pleasure from smoking was just a scam by nicotine to hold my brain hostage and If I didn't like people telling me how I should think or act, I should't let nicotine do it either.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014
  16. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Sorry Viktor, I didn't mean to imply you gave bad advice, I was just sharing. :hug: They have lots of flavours too, you're right - mine's mango :)
    Nice one Lost81 - I like your thinking!

17. Petal

Viktor-no need to be sorry. You were being supportive, thank you. :hug:

Anyway...I had planned to quit today but the pain I was in threw that out the window, the doctor said to quit when you're feeling non stressful. I do hope I can do this. It will be extremely hard , I agree Aaron cold turkey would certainly be great but it's just not gonna happen for me.

Thanks guys, I've read all the replies, thank you for the feedback and input-it is helpful. :)

18. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I hope you find a good way for you Petal, and stick with it! I'll be trying soon too :)

19. Petal

Thanks for the support Nemo :) I wish you the best of luck...will be a struggle but hopefully we can do this :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.