Smoking and drinking justified if it makes you feel happy?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hoppip, Nov 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoppip

Hoppip New Member

I'm 19 and I've been smoking for three years. When I get out drinking I need a fag every 20-30 minutes otherwise I go insane. It kinda helps me to cope with everything going on around me, plus it helps me everyday at work and when I'm shopping. It just feels relaxing.

Lately I've also been drinking a lot by myself. like maybe half a bottle of vodka at least a night. I can't really cope any other way.

So my question for you guys is, do you think that me drinking and smoking is justified by the happiness it gives me to stop from feeling suicidal? Because surely in this scenario it prolongs my life doesn't it?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey there, I'm 25 been smoking since early teens, I smoke a lot despite having asthma. I'm not gonna lie-yes I do try and justify how much I smoke (which is a lot) from anxiety. Truth is it does help calm me but since I find it so hard to quit I don't know if without smoking I wouldn't miss it- if that makes sense lol.

I used to drink, it doesn't agree with me, makes me angry, so I just don't at all.

However I do believe that a lot of people try and justify drink, smoking and illegal drugs because they do believe it is helping. I would never suggest to someone to do anything of the sort to help them.

You're not alone! :hug:

I can't really give you an answer to your person to ask is your doctor although yes I know they won't agree but I do understand that you feel it's prolonging your life. Do whatever feels right and try and quit as you get better! Half a bottle of vodka a night is alot, if you can't quit then maybe cut down.
  3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Sooner or later, you won't be able to keep up with your addiction anymore. And when that happens, your life will fall apart. The amount that you say you drink is a lot, so if you're buying a bottle of Vodka every two days, think of how much money you're spending a month. Eventually, you're going to run low on finances. Then, you're going to have to choose between Vodka or food. Vodka or rent. Vodka or bills. And guess what you're going to choose every time. That's why addicts start stealing, and why they end up homeless and/or in prison. Let's say you even can somehow afford this because you have a buttload of money, eventually, it's not going to be enough to make you happy anymore and you're going to feel just as empty and hopeless as when you first started, except even worse. What are you going to turn to then? I don't get the same feeling from shooting dope anymore as I used to when I first started, and don't think that my statement is relevant only to dope in particular. It's not the rush that isn't the same. Even when I stay clean for months at a time, and I do get that same rush again, after 5 years of slowly killing myself with this drug and watching my life crumble every time I do it, that rush doesn't make me happy anymore like it used to. I still become just as much of a mindless zombie as before, but the difference is all I feel now is guilt, despair, and anger. I think about all the people who care about me and want me to stay clean, and then I look down at the needle sticking out of my arm and realize that I've let every one of them down. I think about how much time I had clean, and that now I have to start from day one yet again. And I think about all the shitty things that me doing this is going to cause for me tomorrow. Pain, withdrawal, no money left, and chances are because of how I feel physically and mentally, I'm going to neglect all my other responsibilities. Now, I know I'm talking about heroin and your problem is drinking, but trust me it's not any different. Doesn't matter what your drug of choice is, the pain you end up feeling is something any addict can relate to no matter what or how much they did. You're still only don't want to spend these years of your life behind a prison cell or homeless, having to go through the city's garbage cans in order to be able to eat that day. The things that addiction can do to your life as so utterly devastating...Please, go to AA meetings, or rehab, or something. Don't keep doing this to yourself because several years from now you're going to wonder ''What the hell happened and where did my life go?''
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

In the short term, fine; but it will become chronic.
    Like Petal, I am a long time smoker.
    It has crippled me financially and my lungs are shot.
    I drank to get me over a crisis but it crept up on me and suddenly it was every night so I quit and am feeling better for it.
    A case of "Whatever gets you through the night, is alright!" but only in the short term.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.