Smoking/drinking and mental health

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by scareddude, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scareddude

scareddude Well-Known Member

Do smoking/drinking worsen your mental health?

2. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say smoking cigarettes does, but weed...I guess it's possible depending on the person. And drinking definitely does.

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Legal cigarettes mainly affects standard health (shortness of breath - risk of lung cancer increases/heart disease etc through all the toxins/chemicals in them) - but can assist irritability which then can knock on and affect mentality.

However, when it comes to illegal drugs (example - weed) or alcohol - they do have marked affects on peoples reactions as well as their mental state of being. There's a number of people who may disagree, but when it comes substances - particularly the majority of drugs, be it prescribed or illegal - there will be some changes to mental health. Whichever way it goes depends on the person - but more often than not, sustained use of illegal drugs/alcohol is more likely to diminish mental health - abandonment/loneliness can result over an extended period of time - which doesn't help the mental state of the person on the substance.

4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

That's a good point by meaningless-vessel about cigarettes and irritability, I hadn't considered that at first. I know that in my case, if I just smoked my last cigarette, and I wait too long to go out and get them again because I don't feel like it or whatever other reason, I act like a complete bitch in the meantime until I do actually get them.

Weed, however, I don't know. It's a bit of a grey area. I do think that for some people it affects their mental health, so like I said it's possible, but the likeliness of it really isn't that high. I know plenty of people who smoke weed on a regular basis and stay clean off everything else and still function normally in their lives. But it does depend on the person. Granted weed is a mind altering drug so it affects your mental state, but mental health is different.

5. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I'd even go as far as to say any drug - be it legal or illegal - would potentially play a part in altering a mental state.

It's not the nicest thing to say about family - but I've got an aunt who is on that much medication (prescribed) - she's almost a walking pharmacy (mental health issues) - and a cousin who does the weed (Both are on the same side of my family. One is my mums sister, the other is the daughter of my mum's brother who actually committed suicide in January - and he lived in the Netherlands for 20+ years - he was on it too).

So I'm in a pickle when it comes to that side of things - I don't want to be too dependent on other things. And it also gives me no great pleasure to say that I am not a fan of substance abuse because people in the main make the choice to do certain drugs (such as cigs/alcohol/weed) - if they do them to excess it's a choice they've made. Whether they've been in the best mental state to be addicted or not doesn't change that side of things.

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Drinking certainly does. It makes me feel terrible, makes me depressed. I will never drink again, I hate the stuff. Smoking doesn't affect my mental health negatively. I feel it does calm me when I'm anxious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.