Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Forlornspirit, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forlornspirit

Forlornspirit Well-Known Member

For the past couple of months, I've been smoking. Sometimes a pack a day, although I have cut down dirasticly (spelling?) it is still a problem.

I want to quit, I've seen most all of my family succum to smoking. My sisters, aunts, uncles, mother. But, I just can't seem to. I can't use patches or anti-nicotine products due to my family not knowing. It's worked quite well the past couple of months, I've been sneaking a pack here and there from my siblings and my mother, and sometimes begged my 'friends' for some.

I find it a better habit than drinking (Recovering alcoholic), cutting, anger, or anything else I can find. It leaves me with this feeling that nothing is wrong, something pills have done for me in the past. I just can't keep up with the schedule for them.

I'm 16, and this is not something I want to keep with me. So please, any advice would be greatly helpful. Thank you for your time.
  2. Blackness

Blackness Guest

They don't know you smoke?

Those patches are easy to hide under your clothes ya know, and you could hide the box in your room somewhere.
  3. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Are you allowed to go to a doctor? There's an anti-depressant called Wellbutrin that docs give for quiting smoking. It's supposed to cut down on the cravings, however, the only way to quit entirely is never to start.
  4. Forlornspirit

Forlornspirit Well-Known Member

First off, no, they don't know I smoke. I keep it as hidden as could be. And, ever since I slit my major points all at once, they check my room (everywhere) close to every couple of days.

And second, I can't go to the doctor. My aunt IS the doctor. She's told of everything that happens there, there is NO patient confidentiality. And, I wish I would've never started. But, I can't change the past unfortunatly :(
  5. mad hatter

mad hatter Active Member

people who help addicts overcome their addictions actually encourage people to smoke. so its deffinately not a bad substitute.
    im a recovering alcholic myself and i realise one day i will stop smoking but now just isnt the time.
    if it bothers you so much just work on cutting long as you intend to quit in the not too distant future (new year or lent or something like that)
    you could always go and see a different doctor in a different part of town.
    good luck
  6. rwillson

rwillson Well-Known Member

god i stil love smoking, come from a family of smokers, chain smokin, drinkin, well to do new england misfits...

at the present i am the only one who still smokes, still love it but i want to quit (i love the Gum, but it still lacks the ritualistic attraction of smoking. amusingly my family is now all addicted to the Nicotine Gum... LOL). i have a real love hate relationship with smoking...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.