smoothies and real fruit juices

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by morning rush, Apr 2, 2013.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I've started to drink home made smoothies...I made this strawberries, peaches and apple juice smoothie and it was really good...I am planning to make more so I can at least have fruits and veggies in my system every day...

does anyone else do smoothies? do you have a favorite one?

If I knew others did, I would feel less alone...

2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My son was very health conscious and used the blender and fruits all the time. Definitely it is good for you and tastes great also. While I don't do "smoothies," per say, I do like to drink fruit juice. We grow lemons, limes, peaches, apricots, figs, calimonsin and tangerines in the yard and it is almost the fruit bearing season!

Keep up the great drinks. :)

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

mmmmmmm i love smoothies hun id on't make them though i by them peach and strawberry banana i bet pinapple smoothie would taste good too Good for you hun taking in good nutritional food for your system hugs

4. flowers

flowers Senior Member

smoothies are delicious. you may want to choose fruits with lower glycemic index. Because the fruit is in liquid form it is absorbed more quickly. This can spike glycemic index (blood sugars) more than eating fruit in its natural state. Also you may want to try adding in some lower glycemic index veggies. I hope it was okay to say this. BTW, I used to enjoy fruit and veggie smoothies with plain yogurt and ice cubes added in. The whole thing can be so healthful because it is so easily absorbed,

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

mmm you should try mango and strawberry. That is my personal fave :)

6. morning rush

I've checked, and apple, strawberries and peaches have lower glycemic...they are approved....but you are right, there are fruits to watch out for...

7. morning rush

I think I will try that next. I hope the fruit is not like the nectar because I tried Mango nectar and didn't like it...

8. morning rush

Cool! I didn't know they made smoothie mixes...I am thinking of buying pineapple...

9. morning rush

wow that is really cool :) I wish I could grow veggies and fruits but I can't grow plants so

10. Senada

Senada Well-Known Member

My fav, that I make a lot myself, is a raspberry smoothie. Contains lots and lots of frozen raspberries (or fresh, when it's season ^^), orange juice (home made if possible), a frozen banana and some berries yoghurt.
    Blueberries and melon (not together) are nice too :)

I also do a lot of orange juice/red orange juice, and pomegranate juice (all of them pure ofc).

11. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Some good ideas on here.

I don't even get my one a day, let alone five, so I've been trying new ways to get the good stuff into my body. I eat a lot of chips (fries) and potato-based foods so I've started having chopped tinned tomato's to soak them in - yummy :)

I really enjoy these vegan smoothies I make - soy milk, strawberries, and bananas.

I've also been making my own slushies - blackberries, raspberries, soda water, crushed ice, and lemon juice.

Experimenting with smoothies is great!

12. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i drink a smoothy every day after my breakfast... it's lovely!

especially the banana smoothies.. i love those

13. JustScott

JustScott Well-Known Member

I try to have smoothies as much as possible - though mine are a tad strange as I use them to get my 5 a day in
    so I pack mine with bananas, blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, spinach, broccoli and vanilla flavouring.
    It packs in so much iron, vitamins and energy, I normally have one during the day and one about half an hour before working out.

14. Mydogissoold

Mydogissoold New Member

Thanks for the post I bought kale, berries and celery to make smoothies and they just sat there till I read your post thanks for gettin me going. The kale is supposed to be really good for you but has a very strong flavor.

15. morning rush

yes Kale is a super food :) I wish I could buy kale but we don't have it around here...otherwise I would buy it and eat it..

they recommend to put kale first and then the other foods, it minimizes the taste if you don't really like it :)

glad to know I encourage you...I love smoothies and eating healthy...I try all kinds of stuff and report on here lol