So... about dem cameras

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by justMe7, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

So anyone have any opinons on cameras and their uses? Musta been anarchy 20 years ago, you know.. all dem mystery murders and thefts and shit. Idk how we survived without someone watching what we're doing. Thankgod someone can make sure our kids arnt pissing on the ground.

Penny for your thoughts? You know, while you're still allowed to have em :D
  2. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous... but having had some tendencies to commit some minor crimes in one of my darker depressive days, the thought of cameras seeing me did stop me from doing it. So yes, they do help with crime but not privacy.
  3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

4. justMe7

lol love the video :)

But in fairness, regardless of where this is sourced from, it's reality that they are everywhere. It's the accepting mentality that allowed cameras to slide into how they are today which then ties into digital invasive standards. There's an awkward blur zone, and it would be nice to have some understanding of where personal privacy ends. Things are just going to get tougher to argue because of how efficentally technology is tied into our daily lives. In my opinon camera usage is one foundation for what they feel is acceptable, so it just makes me wary.

it's never really a problem tbh. Can't identify everyone that's watching you, or monitoring your information. But there should be save places where people know they are free from information intrusions. Though... considering it's an accepted society of being watched, those areas where monitoring is not allowed could be percieved as hot spots for potential "criminal" behavoir.

At my school I think we had 2 cameras? That was in highschool. I do agree with them in high value areas, and such, but.. it's just something to be aware of I suppose. Sometimes you get idiots who take things way to far.
  5. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

Here's one. I took the Onstar out of my 2011 Silverado. ABS, engine, traction control, emergency brakes lights are all lit.

The instant fuel economy and speedometer also quit.

I hate life.
  6. justMe7

Yeah well... look at what sorta access and control you give an external group over your own vehicle. There's alot of trust in these groups, but that's as blurry as anything. If they feel justified in extreme situations, they'll use their access to their advantage.
    Obviously if you removing their system from your vehicle has led to this, they are responsible and should as a matter of respect repair or replace your property.
  7. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

GM has done well at keeping secret that without the Onstar tracker, most systems shut down on your vehicle. Onstar is factory installed equipment and I was promptly told it's part of the vehicle. Case closed. It's not an option, it's standard.

I paid money to get this level of frustration and anger.

I actually took the time to read the Onstar agreement. It knows everything and that information is for sale to 3rd parties or for law enforcement.

Easier for the government than your phone records.

Another expensive lesson.
  8. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

Considering the awful quality of most CCTV, they probably won't really be able to identity any of the naughty kids anyway. It always makes me laugh on Crime Watch when they show the most shitty, blurry picture of the offender (who 9/10 times has a hood up) an they're all "DO U NO THIS BLOKE? CALL US".
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.