So bored of life

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Obsessive, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I am just so bored of everyday life. I don't even have any interests. Only things I've ever had interests in is things from childhood (toys and childhood games). My painful addiction to online gaming has kept me busy all these years, but now my current game just fails to satisfy me anymore and I can't find any other game I feel like playing so I'm pretty much going through withdrawal now. :sad:

I'm extremely impatient; can't even sit down to watch TV or a movie, read a book, play with my cats, or even just relax. I also have poor social skills and don't know anything that would allow me to communicate with other people such as anything about sports teams or the economy.

Have tried sports and all kinds of games and activities with no success - I just see them as chores and have the painful inkling to get back on the computer, even though I no longer have a game to make me feel comfortable. Have tried working and college classes to keep me busy and just burn time, but I feel so trapped and so incapable.

I've been on over 30 medications with no success, and my doctor says there really isn't that much out there I haven't been on. Have only gotten nasty side effects from them such as anxiety attacks and a permanent skin disorder. I'm now on my 7th therapist with no sign of progress.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't want to live another day. And of course I'm too much of a coward to consider suicide, especially after researching the failure rates of the most popular methods. I wish I could stay asleep forever.

2. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

Playing games can be a great stress reliever and obviously enjoyable. There are some great games coming out this year like Operation Flashpoint 2, Ghostbusters, Call of Duty Modern warfare 2, Elven Legacy and many more.

3. Obsessive

Yeah, but I've never really gotten enjoyment out of anything I've done - just played the games to keep me busy. Problem is though that the only type of games I could get addicted to for long periods of time were MMORPGs, which unfortunately seems to me to be a dying breed. I don't like the most popular one (World of Warcraft) and basically every other MMO doesn't really have enough people to play with for it to even be remotely stimulating.

Seeing a new doctor next week. I wonder if it's all the depression, or if it's just not possible for me to be interested in anything. Even if my depression were treated, what would be the point if I still couldn't enjoy anything? :sad:

4. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I have heard that depression gets really bad when you cannot enjoy the things you have really enjoyed. Perhaps I am not yet extremely depressed because I still very much enjoy video games as I have since a child and am not bored of them so far. However, I have played them far too much and thus is a main reason why I am so stunted, socially and in many other aspects too and I feel very much behind other 21 year olds.

Have you always been bored of videogames and the other activities you listed or did it start at a certain point?

5. Obsessive

Well I can't really remember the last time I had really enjoyed a game, though they did a nice job of distracting me and burning time. The fantasy world is so much more welcoming than the real world though still, so I continue to play, but don't get much of anything out of it now.

One of the main problems though is that I have major self-esteem issues. Even in single player games I feel like I'm not doing as well as I should be. And I can't play multiplayer shooters because I get so frustrated from so many people who are better than me. Also MMOs are usually the only games able to keep me busy for long periods of time - console games I'm usually done with within a couple days. =/

6. Obsessive

Is it possible to develop new interests/addictions when you're extremely depressed and lost pretty much the only thing you've ever had? I've already tried everything else and don't know what to do. :sad:

7. allanon

allanon Member

I know a little of what you are feeling, although I am much older, in my thirties (how I have gotten this far is a compete mystery to me) but I am I guess going through a similar dilemma, nothing in this world seems to interest me any more, I have no aspirations...I don't want to be rich, don't want to find someone to share my life with, everything bores me and I find no pleasure in anything. I also am too cowardly to think about suicide seriously, but the alternative seems so tedious that I try not to think about it.

Games have always been my mainstay in this life, but lately I just find myself staring blankly at the screen with no interest.

sorry, this post mustn't have been much help at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.