So Fucking Insecure.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Apr 29, 2012.

1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I've always hated what I looked like...and maybe then I had reason to. Thing is, according to most people's standards, there's nothing wrong with what I look like anymore. I was overweight, I lost weight, now I'm at a normal weight. 134 lbs at 5 feet 3.5 inches.

Why do I still feel so ugly then? Am I never going to live up to my own standards of what pretty should be? I swore to myself that if I just got down to a decent wieght, I would like myself. Now I'm there, and I still don't.

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Congratulations on the weight loss AOM - if it hasn't done much for your self-image, it will have done a lot for your body's health, and the rest will come, if you allow it. Perhaps there's something within that's rebelling against society's instructions: "Thou shalt look good/pretty" to fit in/be acceptable etc. I don't know if that's the case, I really shouldn't put ideas into ppl's heads, so forgive me if you know that's not true.

Maybe your standards of what pretty should be are too high and you're putting yourself under enormous strain trying to live up to them?

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I feel the same way about myself...like I'll never be happy with the way I look. I think it stems from being picked on, and all the times I got called ugly or anything negative just stuck...and I ended up believing it...so it's hard to think of myself as even average looking. But you shouldn't be so hard on yourself...you lost the weight, and that's not something everyone can do. I know because I've been trying forever. You do have good qualities, everyone has things that make them pretty and you should remember that. It can be hard but focus on the things you like about yourself and spend less time thinking about what you don't like.

4. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Thanks witty... Yeah it stems from years of being picked on by people at school and my own family. I have it stuck in my head that I'll always be too fat even if I'm not in reality. It's hard to forget and let go of all the things that were said, but I know it's not true anymore so I need to try to focus on reality instead of what used to be. I was having a hard time when I made this thread but I'm doing better now at least... So thanks to the both of you for your support