So had anyone thing just totally worked for you?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Shock, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

all right, putting it out there:

Im sick of taking pill after pill after pill. been on heaps of different types and dosages to no avail.

I have to ask: Has anyone ever taken an anti-depressant pill and had it totally work, as in cure, their depression?
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

no. i knew from the start medication would do nothing. i do most of my work in counselling sessions and myself. i rely on counselling rather than pills.

although lately i have wanted to take something to calm me down so i stay indoors...
  3. Melmoth the Wanderer

Melmoth the Wanderer Well-Known Member

No, not really. I've tried quite a few different meds myself, and what I'm on now (Paxil) works the best. It actually doesn't do much for my depression besides taking the edge off a little, but it does help a lot with my social anxiety. I'm still anxious most of the time around people, but at least I can talk to strangers and participate in discussions. Making phone calls on the other hand...

Honestly, though, I don't think any drug cures depression. Studies show that medication AND therapy is the most successful, which tells us that drugs alone just don't cut it, despite popular belief.
  4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i'm on zyprexa and tegretol and they are working great for me. suicidal thoughts mostly gone, self-harm pretty much stopped, with a few relapses here and there. but in addition to the meds i did a bunch of other stuff since january, like counselling, relaxation class, seeing a community mental health nurse.
    now it's just me and the meds... i would say that for the first time in a year i feel normal, whatever that is. just the normal ups and downs of life.
  5. Hi shock, i have literally been on every medication out there over the years, then i tried escitalopram here in england, it does help me a lot but not a complete cure, its weird i noticed ecitalopram kicked in from day one you have this euphoric feeling for the first few weeks and feel really hopeful and cant stop smiling to yourself which is a bonus as i don't smile much, but this feeling wears off and you just seem to feel you can cope a lot better after that, but i especially enjoyed the first few weeks, also i have suffered no side effects while on it and sleep very well, i have been on it now for over two years, like i said i can cope a lot better while on it, but i can get really tearful when i first wake up in the morning, but this doesn't last long.
    And for me escitalopram is very addictive, as i tried to come off it for a few days and i felt so much worse before i started it, i was crying like a bay for no reason, very anxious and felt more determined to kill myself.
    But so long as i'm on escitalopram i have no problems.

6. Shock

Shock Well-Known Member

Thanks Jimmy, ill mention it to my GP and see what he thinks. Thanks again... thats helpful!
  7. yanke

yanke Active Member

The most burning question about last week's episode of So You Think You Can Dance wasn't which one of the top 10 dancers is now the front runner. Nope, it was the mysterious "IV REAL" emblazoned across the shirts of a few of the dancers -- clearly, it stood for "For Real," but what the heck does that mean?

Well, we've got your answer. A rep for the show tells that, as many readers have already speculated on the SYTYCD TV Watch message boards, "IV REAL" is an inside joke among contestants Comfort, Joshua, Twitch, and Will about Dance's fourth season -- i.e. Season 4 = IV = FOR REAL. Now we can move on to the second burning question of the night
  8. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i have taken shit loads of meds, and finally the one that has helped the most is the one i'm on now. most of them didn't work or they actually made things worse. i'm thankful to have finally found one that helps. i wouldn't say it's cured anything, but helped definately. take care
  9. wallflower

wallflower Well-Known Member

I haven't ever taken an anti-depressant for very long because of the side-effects and I don't want to get addicted. But I think in some cases it works.
    I think some emotional illnesses have other causes, and those should be treated with someone to talk to or a therapist. I know wellbutrin doesn't seem like a harsh one to me, and I wouldn't worry too much as long as you feel yourself and are functioning right.

10. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

no never. been prescribed a-z psychotropic & with each side-effects were far
    worse than benefits. i do believe that history will show that shrinks and the pharmaceutical whores that market & make mega billions off these poisons will be considered nothing more than snake-oil peddlers. i do however believe the folks who say that their meds,(once they found the right ones if ever), have helped them & advise no one to go off meds w/o consulting with a doc or pharmacist. fwiw