So how deep have you gone?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Twisted Sweet Lies, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

Possible trig?

I've gone muscle deep before. I've been to the point where I should have gotten stitches but I never have gone to the hospital for it. I have some nasty scars. One deep red one from where I stabbed myself. It's really old but still hurts if I rub it. That part isn't even real skin. It's just scar tissue that can be picked away. My other ones are duller.
  2. animebling

animebling Well-Known Member

Deep enough to bleed on and off for two days. Now I just stick to multiple less deep cuts.
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

never to the muscle! well not yet anyway. I used a knife so it is harder to cut, yet it hurts more and leaves a wider cut. It's not super deep but still bleeds.
  4. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Is this a competition? :unsure:
  5. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I'm not sure this thread is for the best, it could be fairly triggering.. But to those of you cutting try and take care all. :hug:
  6. jhayes0027

jhayes0027 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how deep it was but it was also the last time I cut myself. Either way, it got me a free trip in the back of a police car to the nearest hospital. Was only around 16 stitches I believe and I don't think I even needed them for some of the cuts but docs orders I guess. Police were there to take a drunk away, then I got taken away for someone telling them to look at my arms.

On a plus note, the doctor was cool, I've never recieved a bill for it and he told me to come in and talk with him anytime I need too.
  7. Twisted Sweet Lies

No just woundering if my cutting is sevear and get an idea of how fucked up I am.
  8. Twisted Sweet Lies

I believe the first words of this post were "possible trig" as a warning.
  9. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I've done bad. But not fr four weeks!! not i am very very drunk and probably shouldn't even be posting. ahhh well

apologies to anyone/everyone x
  10. ybt

ybt Guest

I don't think this thread should be here, honestly.
  11. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

me neither, often people progress from scratches to severe self harm because they see others do it, they figure if it works for one person it must work for them and get more and more severe.

Were here to support people but not to encourage htem to hurt themselves
  12. The worst I've done is cutting through to a vein and bleeding severely for a few hours. I've gone down to muscle, gone through many layers of skin, got loads of permanent scars, but I'm on my way to quitting. :)
  13. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

I don't think talking about it encourages people to do it, taking some of the shame out of the act is a start for healing for some people. Anyone who is cutting is in pain and needs help, it doesn't matter how deep or how often, but a lot of people think it does. Anytime or anyway you intentionally hurt yourself means that something has gone awry and your mind and body is signaling for help/relief from pain.

That being said, I think that in some circles it does become a competition to see who is "sicker". Gues what, everyone who cuts is sick, no need to compete for that award. Also, I think some people (myself included) think the cutting or self harm has to get to a certain level in order for you to be deserving of help or intervention. Your mind becomes very distorted and you begin to think that you are not sick enough for help or treatment, you think that there are always people sicker than you. I know this happens a lot with eating disorders also, I denied I had an eating disorder because I was not as thin as another anorexic, or did not throw up as much as another is all just a way to rationalize that you are not really "that bad" or as a way to prove that you really are the sickest.

So, who really cares how deep you cut, you cut, that is enough.
  14. Twisted Sweet Lies

It's not a competition on who is sicker. I thought I would find answers with this post and it helps me to talk about it. Cutters aren't sick. It's the people who dive us this far who are the sick ones. Sometimes it's the only way to cope when you have been abused. The abusers are the sick ones. The idiots like that who drive us to this point are the sick ones. We are just trying to find ways to cope. Yeah most of us know it's not healthy or normal but again sometimes it seems like the only way to cope with things.
  15. freakin out

freakin out Guest

I disagree, Swimmergirl. This isn't a competition and people who cut have reasons, yes, it's an illness but there is a distressing cause for triggering it. It's like chickenpox, someone gives it to you, with self-harm someone gives you reason. Anyway, point is, even a small cut means something isn't right so there is no limit to a help level, anyone needs help sometimes. It helps to talk it out, it's no competition it's just to make someone see they are not alone, that other people suffer as they do.
  16. swimmergirl

swimmergirl Well-Known Member

I am all for being open and honest about cutting, and for those who use it as a coping mechanism to talk to each other about it!

My point was though, it is a choice, even if you have good reason for doing it, it is still a choice you make. I should know, I have been injurying for the last 20 years on and off. There are triggers and impulses, and I make the choice about whether or not to feel those feelings or act out on them by cutting. It is a behavoir, just like doing drugs or drinking is a behavoir one uses to cope.

My other point was that it really does not matter how deep you cut! Anyone who cuts is suffering equally, so I was just questioning the need for the question about how deep. What does a deeper cut mean to you all? Why is it a relevant topic for discussion?
  17. Twisted Sweet Lies

There is a reason for it. But why tell you? You will just argue with me and I don't want to argue. I'm done argueing.
  18. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

i don't think the depth of a cut makes someone more or less fucked up, the simple fact that someone has the need to cut means there's something wrong that needs help. i never cut very badly, deep scratches at most to be honest, but there was still something very wrong with how i was feeling

the only times i needed stiches i had only intended to do what i normally did but i slipped and then spent hours in A&E hoping i'd be home before my family woke up. cutting is dangerous, it's an addiction for most which is hard to break, if you're doing it at all you need to seek help to stop, no matter how severe it is

please take care :hug:
  19. yuop

yuop Member

Hey look I am not trying to start something, I've cut a few times yes, but when you said "cutters aren't sick. It's the people who dive us this far who are this sick ones." How can you place blame on someone else for YOU doing that to yourself. Those people did not tell you or make you cut yourself. Why do you have such a negative outlook towards people? Maybe it is finding a way to cope, but in my eyes, it is the same thing as doing drugs to cope with your emotional distress. When I did it, I didn't enjoy it, it didn't make me feel better, it made me feel worse about myself.

Please don't crucify me, I just am very curious to why one would blame others.
  20. Twisted Sweet Lies

I'm not blaming them really I was trying to say that those people are sicker then the cutters. No they don't force others to cut but they are cruel and to be that cruel and mean to others I find them to be really sick. I have met a lot of cutters none of which were really mean or abusive to others unlike other people who don't cut who abuse others.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.