• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

So how does one know when a medication ‘works’?

I guess because I have yet to find a med that works I am asking this question. Suicidal thoughts haunt me daily but I am here because I love my family, have a grandchild on the way, and basically love the life I have if not for trauma. Starting to think that meds are only for people with a chemical imbalance....I never had one....I am 62...was successful until trauma struck.....
yes....I am in therapy....no, it has yet to help especially when doing it via zoom
so am I doomed?

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
If you mean antidepressants, my experience is that it's pretty subtle. It's kind of a hindsight thing, where you can look back on the previous month versus maybe a few months ago before starting meds, and think huh, yeah I have had a bit more energy, or haven't been quite so negative in all of my conversations. It's not dramatic, it mostly helps to give you a bit of a boost so you can manage the work of therapy.

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
And no, I don't think you're doomed. Maybe meds aren't for you or you haven't found the right one. Maybe therapy just hasn't clicked for you yet. It's definitely hard not doing it in person sometimes.

Nick

☆☆Still Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I found the right med by accident. I was taking it for something else. I didn't realize it worked, tbh. Someone else pointed out that I seemed more stable and when I looked back they were completely right! I would have told you no meds work for me and never have, and to this point that would have been true. This one med at this one dosage seems to help.

And no, I don't think you're doomed. Maybe meds aren't for you or you haven't found the right one. Maybe therapy just hasn't clicked for you yet. It's definitely hard not doing it in person sometimes.
I found the right med by accident. I was taking it for something else. I didn't realize it worked, tbh. Someone else pointed out that I seemed more stable and when I looked back they were completely right! I would have told you no meds work for me and never have, and to this point that would have been true. This one med at this one dosage seems to help.
That’s encouraging. My problem is that I have tried so many medications...the only one that eliminates some of my self loathing and calms me is a benzo. Seems like most anti depressants make me worse.

Sad Elf

Hi

I have OCD so I suppose I have a chemical imbalance. The antidepressants I think probably help abit, but still barely function. I am not sure that it's down to if you have an imbalance of not as to how effective they are. I am not sure what it is down to, but just to put it out there that they don't always help no matter what the reason for depression.

I also think there are so many different types and combinations that it depends on what you have been prescribed etc.

Take care
Elf

That’s encouraging. My problem is that I have tried so many medications...the only one that eliminates some of my self loathing and calms me is a benzo. Seems like most anti depressants make me worse.
Hi

I have OCD so I suppose I have a chemical imbalance. The antidepressants I think probably help abit, but still barely function. I am not sure that it's down to if you have an imbalance of not as to how effective they are. I am not sure what it is down to, but just to put it out there that they don't always help no matter what the reason for depression.

I also think there are so many different types and combinations that it depends on what you have been prescribed etc.

Take care
Elf
I have OCD, anxiety, depression, ptsd....you name it I have it. Only benzos help keep me doing the unthinkable....plus I am scared of going to hell.......I think I am a lost cause....

Nick

☆☆Still Ducking Fantastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I have a pretty long list of things too. I don't think that list makes you a lost cause. It's more normal than you think. Finding the right thing isn't easy. We had decided I couldn't take meds because I had such horrible reactions to them. Then BAM, found one by accident. You never know what is going to work. Every person is different. If you are convinced that nothing is going to work, it isn't going to work though. It's a psychology thing. Even IF it is working you will be so busy convincing yourself it's not working that you won't see the effects of it working. This is where other people are helpful, because they can point out things you didn't notice. I've had people point out when something was making me batshit crazy and when something was working. I didn't notice in either case.

I guess because I have yet to find a med that works I am asking this question. Suicidal thoughts haunt me daily but I am here because I love my family, have a grandchild on the way, and basically love the life I have if not for trauma. Starting to think that meds are only for people with a chemical imbalance....I never had one....I am 62...was successful until trauma struck.....
yes....I am in therapy....no, it has yet to help especially when doing it via zoom
so am I doomed?
I wouldn't say your doomed at all. I guess the idea of the medication "working" is a bit subjective. Depends on what you want the medication to do for you. For me I started taking lexapro a few months back and it had worked for me for a bit. It helped me separate myself from my thoughts and not get trapped into my thoughts. I would encourage you to keep trying different medications until you find one that works because the difference that the medication could make for your mental state could save your life.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$30.00
Goal
$255.00