So I started a new job.

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Tobes, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I started a new job yesterday, and I am pumped about it. I have spent the last year in my flat, on the internet, and socializing minimally. I didn't want it to end, but now I am working again I am surprised by the attitude I had.

It's work for the dole so I don't get paid, but I don't care. It's active, hands-on work and I can afford to live on my dole payment and don't need any more than what I have at the moment (except maybe a nice bottle of spirits to end the day with).

I'm working at the local Salvation Army store, in the furniture and bric-a-brac department, and the majority of the job is moving furniture around. In the mornings I move the furniture outside, in the afternoons I move it back in (with a few other volunteers of course), and during the day I sort stuff and move/sell furniture where needed. Also, new furniture comes in daily that I have to unload off the truck and fit into the store/outside area.

The amount of furniture I move out and in is approximately 4 lounges, 4 single lounges/recliners, 3 tables, 10 chairs, coffee tables, bikes, exercise machines, and other bits of furniture. I am finally getting a good workout and working up a sweat, so I will hopefully lose some weight in the process.

I only have to work 2 days a week, 8 hours a day, and the days are spaced out over the week so I have a couple of days in between to rest and recuperate. It's weird, but one of the best feelings in the world is the one you have when you come home from a hard days work, stiff and sore, knowing you did a good job.

The work is fun, the staff are great, and I quickly made friends with a girl my age (who is also quite attractive) who started work the same day I did, but in a different department. I get to chat with her during smoko and lunch (if we take it at the same time) which is nice. It's an all around good job.

My ideation is the weakest it's been in months, and my enjoyment and satisfaction has gone way up. Now, I get to look forward to coming home to a drink, a hot meal and some internet time, instead of just waking up and jumping on the net. Plus, I still get to do that on my days off, if I want to, which is cool. The best part is that I don't have to feel bad about staying home all the time anymore.

Like in jobs I've had in the past, I actually look forward to going to work also. I know it's early days, but I have found that if I enjoy a job, I will enjoy it for the long term. I'm going to try and stay away from pot, which is a change for me, as that will help me work with a clear head and have more energy.

If you are in a situation similar to the one I was in (unemployment, not leaving the house much), I recommend volunteering as an alternative to getting a paying job. You'll most likely be hired, as they always need more volunteers, and even though you don't get paid, you will probably enjoy the change. I didn't think I could work, but I was so wrong it is laughable. If you are doing what I was doing, you probably don't think you can either. I'm still not a social person, I still have social anxiety, but work seems to overpower it. It probably will for you too.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

that is good work feeling like you are giving to others and meeting new people good for you i hope you continue to stay strong take care.
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

that's amazing....and such a positive and uplifting post...
    well done you......
  4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

It's been 2 weeks now and things are still going good. The day went slow on Tuesday, but today went a lot quicker. I had to go on a delivery trip, which is a first in this job, and move a heavy wardrobe up a flight of stairs and into the customers house. Boy was it a bitch to move. There was 4 of us moving it, which was a bonus, but it was still an effort. If you have ever moved a heavy piece of furniture up stairs, you know what I'm talking about.

Other than that I threw out some scrap metal, sorted some bric-a-brac, and moved furniture around like usual. There is this fella I work with, and it's good to work with him because he has his head screwed on straight and delegates work really well (politely too). Plus he is a funny bastard.

This is the first volunteer job I have had since I was 13, and I don't even care that I'm not getting paid. It's strange because money was always the driving force in my past jobs, other than the work itself. It feels good to not be preoccupied with money, and if I were getting paid I would probably waste it anyway. In case you are wondering how I get by, I get an unemployment benefit, and it is enough that I can afford everything I need, plus a few extras, so I'm comfortable with what money I get. Working, while during the past year seemed to be a bad thing, has now become an added bonus.

I'm working again tomorrow, and I hope it goes as well as it did today. I have a few tasks already set for me to do, but don't know what else I'll be doing. It'll probably be mostly the same as what I have been doing so far, which is good. After that I get a 3 day weekend, so I won't have to go to bed relatively early, which I don't like doing, as I love staying up until the early hours. It's pushing midnight now, so I probably should turn in after this post.

Thanks for reading (if you did read it), I don't keep a blog or a journal so I need somewhere to write this stuff down. I'll probably update this occasionally (when the need arises), maybe not as sparingly as in 2 week intervals though. I'll post here when I get the urge.

Don't give up people, life can take a turn for the better if you let it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2010
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am so happy for you having a purpose a reason to get up it really does help. I hope you continue to enjoy your position there good for you doing positive things for your life.
  6. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Work Day no. 7, Week 3.

I had my first full day on the truck, delivering and picking up furniture. I was apprehensive at first, thinking it would be a lot harder than in-shop work, but it was better than I thought it would be. The day went very fast, and only entailed 1 delivery, 3 pick-ups, and a dump run (a full trucks worth, Salvo's gets a lot of crap and rubbish), plus the regular putting out and taking in of furniture at the beginning and end of the day.

We went to the house of a well off couple, who must have had kids, because they were donating a lot of stuff. There was 4 mattresses, 3 bed frames, a futon, an entertainment unit, a bedroom ensemble, a shitload of cushions, and more. They had 9 sets of cage drawers for god's sake. It took us nearly 2 hours to move it all, and the truck was nearly full when we were done (the truck isn't that big, 6-7 metres in total length). Plus we had to unload it all when we got back to the shop, which was a lot easier.

The driver I work with is a big guy, built like a fridge. He's been a bouncer and a truckie, and it shows, and yet he is still a damn nice guy and funny too. I work well with him, as with most people, and I can tell we will work well together in the future. I will probably be on the truck on Tuesdays and in the furniture shop on Fridays. Good combo if you ask me.

Plus the dump run was all kinds of fun. Throwing crap into a truck at one end and throwing it out at the other. There is something very satisfying about throwing a television (or 5) out of a truck and watching it crash to the ground. We offloaded 650 kilos of stuff, and did it in less than 20 minutes.

If you're not working at the moment, and are skeptical, give it a go (if you can). Out of the 9 jobs I have had, only one I disliked, and only because I had to get up at 3am and do 5 things at once on the job (I was a baker's assistant). Plus it get's pretty hot in a bakery, even (no, especially) if it's before sunrise. It doesn't have to be the perfect job, only one you can enjoy and do well. People will like and respect you if you can do a job thoroughly, and it isn't that hard to do.

And when it's all over at the end of the day, you can enjoy a cold drink, a hot meal, and know you a did a good job. Fair trade.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010