So im gonna go see a therapist this tuesday

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by El Mas, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Mas

El Mas Active Member

Hey. So i havent been here for a while. but i figure i come back and ask for advice. Things have been wierd for me. Ups an downs, more downs than ups tho. It's just that i feel ashamed of not being able to deal with this thing by myself. Im supposed to be a man. Shit like this is for weak losers that cant hang, but i know thats just what i am. I know if i dont get help im not gonna see the end of the year. I'm thinkin of just cancelling and not going.

Anyways what should i expect? Am i gonna be cured? Will i be given drugs? Will they really change the way i feel?

Why should i try at all? All my conclusions about myself are well thought out and probly true. What will any of this change?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Depression is not gender specific...it is very brave to work on your issues and enage in a supportive, clinical relationship...and what you should expect??? that you have a genuine exchange when you feel comfortable...all else on the journey will be revealed from there...J

3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

i agree with sadeyes, depression does not choose those who shall be affected.

Society expects men to be a certain way and this is a struggle i could imagine. I think you are brave to say, 'hey, i'm stuck and need help' we are not superhuman who do everything on our own. sharing a laugh or a tear makes us feel less lonely in a world that has trillion of people. we need people to survive. we are social beings.

4. El Mas

El Mas Active Member

K so i went today. I was very nervous. But the doctor seemed like a good guy. talked for a bit. I had to assure him the i wasnt gonna kill myself. He told me to go see a medical doctor and get a physical. And there probly going to put me on Welbutrin (i dont know if thats spelled right). I feel good that i went now. I liked that he could relate to my feelings "that i shouldnt be complaining and i gotta suck it up", cuz guys are just expected to be like that. Hopefully i can get help getting out of this hole ive been in for such a long time. I dont wanna feel like this anymore.

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey El Mas,
    I don't know where you get off calling those of us who are getting help (WEAK LOSERS). The people who have come here are usually in pretty bad shape. They are receiving friendship and support to keep them from commiting suicide.
    I am a 6'3" 300lb. former Marine and biker. I am here because I need help. Being a loser has nothing to do with it. Reading your thread has offended me!!! It takes more courage on ppls part to continue to live with these problems. As far as death goes, anyone can do that. Just be careful in what you say or you will get the cold shoulder from alot of us!!

6. El Mas

El Mas Active Member

Are you serious? Ill skip giving my tough guy credentials. Lemme explain myself, cuz sure as hell aint gonna apologize. When one suffers from depression it's bad enough that that you feel like crap all the time but there is also a stigma that comes with it. It may come from ones own mind, like it did with me. Thats why i never got help for years. All that being said i never called anyone here a loser. But i was trying to convey my attitude i had as guy from my point of view being hispanic. We dont talk about these things and think that those who do as weak. And im pretty sure thats its not just a black, white, brown, male, female thing but alot of people feel this way. And its a shame cuz its this feeling that keeps people from getting the help they need.

If you dont like my explanation all i can say is ive been the outside guy all my life. Being "that guy" here on these forums aint really gonna be much of a change. I'm not here to be nice. The whole world is full of "nice" people and look were that got us, war, racism, ignorance, hatred. I'm here to support people and hopefully get support. But im not gonna sugarcoat anything i say for you or anyone.

And to those of you that did help instead of threataning to ostracize me. Thank you from all my heart you guys are good people and not just "nice" people

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.