So much to live for...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Kezzie, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kezzie

Kezzie Well-Known Member

Everyone always says to me; 'You have so much to live for.... Don't throw your life away.... Think of those left behind.' But you know what, its all a cop out! I have nothing to live for, nor can I find anything.... The general rule of thumb is, if somethings rubbish throw it out... My life is rubbish, so why hang on to something destined for the trash? And anyone and everyone left on this Earth will be so much better off without me. I'm not leaving anyone, I'm removing my miserable existence, and helping make the world a happier place.

2. Roneo

Roneo Banned Member

please don't - u are beautiful, no matter what they say - words can't bring u down....noooooo
    u are beautiful, in every single way - words won't bring u down.....ohhhhh
    so don't y'all bring kezzie down today!

please hang in there kezzie *hugs* hang in there u are a great person!

3. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

it's true that "you have so much to live for" is a totally bullshit statement that has never made anyone feel better in the history of its existence. it's the equivalent of telling a paranoid schizophrenic "dude, cut it out." it's nonsense, and only makes its recipient feel so much worse.

the reason for that is, of course, that the value of other things is totally subjective. that's the point. that's what other people don't get at all.

i've been on and off this forum a long time, and i generally don't like the yells of encouragement people give to others. it's well-intentioned, sure, but it's truthfully not helpful at all. without empathizing and without being willing to accept suicide as an option, there's no point. (very contrary to popular belief, telling a suicidal person that suicide isn't an option is like telling someone a multiple-choice question doesn't have an answer. it's logically absurd, and equally unhelpful. the most successful therapy involves accepting suicide as an option and then working with its particulars, not rejecting it outright and alienating the suicidal immediately. anyone who rejects suicide to a suicidal person is doing the exact opposite of helping.) it's talking to someone in another Universe, in another language, in reverse.

i feel for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  4. Much afraid

Much afraid Well-Known Member

everyone left on this Earth will be so much better off without me.

I have to disagree with being better for losing you. You have to make your choices based on what is best for you however. I don't want to guilt anyone into a choice and the "what about - fill in the blank" is a guilt trip I'm afraid.

I get the despair and maybe frustration. I feel that way many days. Sometimes I think I have more meltdowns than lucid moments. They're quiet, they're hidden but there nonetheless. Do I make a difference to anyone? Probably not - but there are many (like you) that mean a lot to me. ♥

I don't think you are rubbish. I agree with flowers that you are a treasure (at least you are to me!)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  5. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

very good post, solutions.

very good points

i agree totally with the you've everything to live for meaning nothing, i've had it said to me myself loads of times- then weeks down the line i'm thinking... well what?. you say their's lots to live for- you say life is worthwhile, but show me why?. you know...

what annoys me is that people are only too willing to say those things and give encouragement, yet when it actually comes to listening to your problems- and why you think life is pointless to begin with, they arn't interested.

as for suicide being an option, well.. if you've tried everything and you're truly lost, then yes.
    sometimes it's the prolonging of life that's the problem... because you're in too much pain- and it's really for nothing

6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

One person's trash is another person's treasure.

7. darkdays

darkdays Active Member

you say your life is trash, but there is another option besides killing yourself, that is change. are there any obstacles to changing your life? no doubt there are but you know what? there's only one obstacle that can't be overcome and that's death-death is a very permanent solution to a very temporary problem. perhaps if you tell us some of the obstacles you would have to overcome to have a better life we could give you some suggestions that you just can't see right now because you're too close to the problem. and remember that suicide isn't a sure thing. you could end up something far worse than alive or dead. talk to us, please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.