so scared....i dont want to be locked up...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Madsys, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madsys

Madsys Active Member

im really scared of being locked up...i know its going to happen...i can feel myself getting to that point...ive never been in hospital before (except when i was born of course...) and ive never ever even visited a psych ward/hospital and im so so scared of what will happen to me in there...what are they going to do to me? i mso scared...if you've ever been in a hospital or psych ward could u tell me what happened? (if u feel up to it..) please? im so scared....:sad: :surrender:
  2. Morningstar

Morningstar Well-Known Member

My experiences haven't been that bad really, I even made some good friends while in the pyschward.
  3. Jungle420

Jungle420 Banned Member

Hi I've stayed in one twice. Actually ive just there arrived back at the house after I went to get officially discharged (I was on 11 days leave for the Xmas and new years period) ... I have to go back tomorrow because they made a mistake, which is absolutely no surprise coming from the staff in this ward.. they are absolutely terrible uncoordinated and have no idea what they are doing..Seriously the place is an absolute joke. Its laughable thy the place is suppose to help you when you receive no care whatsoever.

OK not trying to scare you because the first ward I stayed in a couple year back was a hundred times better (it was still a horrible place though) but staff were kind to you and treat you with respect.. Here at this other ward the staff are horrible, miserablke, ignorant, smug... they make mistakes all the time, you are left by yourself with no communication, no one-to-ones or any form of support at all, the beds are rock hard like prison beds - I could go on and on its just an absolute disgraceful place ... and there is pretty much nothing at all to do there.. TV or a pool table.. tack your pick son..3 weeks of this or that, the place is SET UP for you to go nuts.

All this came from me complaining my life sucks because im sick of having no one to talk to, nowhere to go, nothing to do, and feeling extremely depressed to the point of suicide.. So their solution was to get police to my house put HANDCUFFS on me and cart me of to a fucking mental institution?!?!!., I spent 3 weeks there, and got no care or support. The quality of the place really depends on what country you are in and what area. I'm from UK and this 2nd ward im talking about is in a rough area.. The place is beyond a joke, and if you get sectioned then you cannot leave when you want, you have to wait on the doctor (in this case they were unbelievably smug to the point I wanted to beat the shit out of him when he was talking to me) but if you go in voluntarily, then I believe you can leave anytime you like
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hun depends i guess what hosptal you go to but most staff want whats best for you hun You will meet new friends pehaps you go to classes that teach you how to cope There should be a social worker there to talk to as well Your doctor will do the best to get you stable on meds to helpl you You will not be kept long hun sometimes only 3 days hugs
  5. Jungle420

Jungle420 Banned Member

Just be wary is what I am saying. If you are sectioned then it will be a few weeks unless you appeal against it, otherwise you may leave when you like after a couple days. My experience was dreadful but Im pretty sure its because of the horrible area. Good luck!!
  6. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Hi Madsys,

I agree with total_eclipse in that I think it depends on which that some have better reputations than others. I remember when I was worried about what hospitals would be like....The staff will do their best to help you towards feeling safer again....some of the differences for me come down to how nice places are, but the most important thing is they have one common goal - to get you feeling better....I consider how nice each place is as secondary because I think almost all hospitals are bearable but nothing to write home about: for example, carpet floors or tile floors, TVs or gaming, how big the place is, what kind of daily routines there are (group therapy sessions, free time, sleep schedules, etc....). Basically, each place has its own individual policies, and you might naturally like some routines around you better, or prefer certain types of personalities that gel better with you so that you can get the most out of your hospitalization experience. Overall, I have had nice experiences with my small sample size of hospitalizations….without a doubt lots of time for personal reflection and interaction with other patients, as well as hospital workers. Likely for you, there will be a psychiatrist who sees you on a regular basis…to discuss treatment goals and whether prescribing you medicine is in your best interest. Best of luck to you, and stay safe. I hope our replies put you at ease a bit...again, I remember how scared I was when I first was admitted to a psych hospital. :hug:

Lastly, prior to admission, you will likely be assessed by a mental health screener who will ask you questions about how you are get a better feel for where you are at emotionally....then he or she can determine whether hospitalization is necessary or might be helpful to you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  7. That one guy

That one guy Member

easy there friend!
    i'd say the best thing to do right now is step back for a moment and calm yourself. don't let the anxiety and stress get a hold of you that will only make things worse.

I've been admided into two seperate wards and they were both not that bad. i volinteer at my local hospital and spend a lot of time there. from what i've seen its no worse then any other part of the place.
  8. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

I've been in two adolescent units

Firstly they're not the best place in the world but they keep you safe and give you space and time to think without the daily expectations of the world... Both units were similar in some ways but different in another. One was an open ward so there was more freedom around the ward, we were allowed stuff in out rooms ect, the other was a secure hospital... many locked doors, many security rules. Theres not too much to do in these places, maybe watch tv or play pool..But the days (other than weekends in both) were filled with structured groups.. I wasn't in my first hospital long enough for it to help due to discharging myself, but i was in the secure hospital for 3 months and i can say that it somewhat helped. I met some amazing friends in these places, and met some awesome staff too.
    If you give them a shot, you may find they help... Try looking in to hospitals that you may be sent to, like your local one prehaps...Or if your mental health team suggests an admission ask for a day visit or something... If you want to know more, dont hesitate to PM me.

Good luck and remember to choose what you need not what you want
  9. Madsys

Madsys Active Member

Thanks still unsure and a bit scared....but its been good hearing ur experiences and stuff...i still want to know more of course...but i do feel a little bit btter...thanks....i guess it just all depends on where i go and if i go volunterily or not...and only time will tell that.... :/
  10. Morningstar

Morningstar Well-Known Member

I'll gladly answer any more questions and gladly share more with you about my experiences when I get back home an can use my laptop instead of my phone, hang in there.
  11. ZasuArt

ZasuArt Well-Known Member

((Madsys))... I very much feel your pain, Sweetie. I grew up visiting my schizophrenic mother in various hospitals and institutions, which at the time (early 70's) were not well kept and regulated. What I saw and experienced there made me utterly terrified to be hospitalized as an adult. Because of this fear, I managed to talk myself out of being hospitalized in the psych ward after several suicide attempts, until my last attempt a few years ago, when they told my partner, "Either you get her to agree or we're going to force her.". Being wheeled through those doors in the middle of the night and signing myself in were two of the most terrifying moments of my life. I laid there shaking uncontrollably and willing myself to die all night that first night, and had to practically leave my body to step out of my room in the morning. But I soon discovered that this was going to be a very different experience than what I remembered as a child. My entire day was structured with various group therapy sessions. There were a few patients who were very angry and loud (a BIG trigger for me), and this caused some major anxiety for me a couple of times, but I somehow managed to trust the staff to have control and keep us safe, and they did. They kept me there a week (until my insurance ran out), and I can honestly say that the structure and community was exactly what I needed at the time. It was certainly not the nicest, most comfortable place to be, but it helped put me in the mind set to survive. I don't know if your experience will be comparable to mine, but I hope that you will also find it more helpful and less frightening. Sending hugs and friendship....T :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.