So Scared

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by kushioncut, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kushioncut

kushioncut Active Member

I am so scared. Was involuntarily hosptialized the week for what the hospital deemed was a suicde attempt. In my mind, it was not intentional overdose. I have to return to work tomorrow. I have letter from psychiatrist stating I was hospitalized and can return to work with no restrictions. We have huge deals at my wwork, where supervisors meet with staff development to come up with a "return to work plan" They ask specific questions in this meeting. I dont want to tell tthem I was in behavior unit. I work with children and am afraid they are going to say my mental health issues are going to be an issue and they are going to try to fire me. I beleive in honesty, but last few times I was honest it bit me in the butt. I dont want to take that letter in, but dont know what else to do. I am so ,so scared.

Nobody seems to understand. Not even the crisis line counselor I called.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
  2. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Since you are in the US, they have to let you stay, or you can sue them for discrimination and harassment, if they try to find ways to fire you. It's really something you should not be worried about.

3. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

Legally they are not allowed to ask you what you were hospitalized for. Was it a private psych hospital that you were in or was it a general hospital? If it was a psych hosp, then that makes it a bit more difficult to maintain your privacy, but if it was a general hospital, then the doctor can write the letter on general letterhead and not make any reference to his specialty. If you can, I'd push for a rewrite on the letter if it states psychiatry anywhere if it was in fact a general hospital.

This link may help you find specific information on both Federal and New York State employment law:

http://www.newyorkemploymentlawyerblog.com/family_medical_leave_act/

Another good resource for a variety of mental health legal issues is www.bazelon.org

If getting a new letter means you need to miss work tomorrow, then that's what you might need to do. Just tell them your documentation's not quite complete and you'll let them know as soon as it is. Hang in there - you can navigate this - there are protective laws in place for you.

4. kushioncut

kushioncut Active Member

Thank you so much for your advice and encouragement. Also, thank you for the links. I appreciate your help.

5. dragonfly70

dragonfly70 Well-Known Member

You are most welcome. Sometimes half the battle is finding the resources and information to know how to handle things. Knowing you have rights puts you in a place of power, or at least on a more level playing field than you might otherwise feel like. I hope your transition back to work goes smoothly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.