So simple, yet difficult

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by LostMyMind, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I haven't driven a car but only a few times in my life. Reason is, I was diagnosed schizo-affective and put on a number of medications. I've felt that I'm incapable of driving while being so medicated. Something changed recently; I'm now taking Wellbutrin XL in addition to my other meds. Since being put on it I'm no longer so mentally foggy and also feel that I can actually DO something for once. So I've been pondering getting a car for the past week. The only problem is that I have absolutely no experience driving. For some reason I'm quite frankly terrified of the thought of being on the road. Anyone else have this phobia when you first began to drive? How did you deal with it? I feel like I might be a danger to myself and everyone around me! The worst part in my mind is going to be when I have to park in between two other vehicles. I do have my driver's license, but I got it long time ago before my mental illness set in.

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I was much older than average in my part of the world when I learned to drive. I didn't "do highways" (because I was literally terrified) until my job required me to. I took lessons to get my license. When I knew the job was going to force me onto the highways, I took a special "refresher" lesson just for the major highways. Since then, I've driven on some of the world's busiest major arteries (in rush hour!:blink: :biggrin:) Driving increased my self-confidence and I have so much more independence which increased my self-confidence which...

Maybe you can get lessons in your region and find out if driving still appeals to you? It is do-able even you are nervous.

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i'm terrified of driving. sometimes i think it'd be nice to learn but i have the same problem as you. can't concentrate properly. the way i'm on my bike is enough for anybody to be worried about me on the road with a car..:laugh:

4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

i was afraid for a long time. And parking between two cars? LOL I di it to pass my drivers test and haven't done it since. I just park farther away and walk if i have to.

5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Why not go some where a bit remote and have a few practise sessions before actually going on the road full time. It will help gets some confidence back also.

6. LostMyMind

Highways are another thing that terrifies me! Maybe I can get a refresher course or something, hopefully it won't cost much because I'm very poor.

7. LostMyMind

Perhaps I should do the same :laugh:

8. LostMyMind

Good advice. I spoke with my mother about doing such a thing. She recommended going to a large empty parking lot to drive around for awhile and practice parking. I'll get her to drive me there since I feel like hazard right now. :smile: I hope that I can get the hang of things. It would be great to be less dependent on my family, plus like others said it would boost my self confidence a bit.

9. LostMyMind

That is another thing I worry about. My concentration isn't exactly great like it use to be. I feel that I'm an accident waiting to happen! I wish I was the me I was back before my mental illness set in. I was confident, patient and learned very quickly. Nowadays I feel helpless, moody and slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.