So this is where you've been hiding...

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by Another.Audrey, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Are you the ones I can talk to? People who'll understand, or at least make the effort? I've been looking all over for you.

Hi. :)

My name's Audrey. I'm a grad student (in psychology, of all things) and though I've never made it further than a few steps into planning, I've had a strange fascination with suicide ever since I was a pre-teen. I have a chronic illness that's kept me more isolated than most would consider normal, and though I'm not a negative person, I do have a profound melancholy streak that keeps the darker and shadowy sides of the world close.

I've struggled with addictions and anorexia in the past--both slow suicides, in some way--and though things recently have been better, I take a strange comfort in knowing I have another 'out.'

I joined the forum mostly because I wanted to spend time (even virtual time) around others who'd at least understand the impulse, or who'd know a little what it's like to wrestle with it. I think, too, that as an agnostic / atheist, I have an interest in the philosophical problem of suicide, and I'm genuinely interested in exploring the question with others who won't immediately push me in the direction of a crisis hotline. :)

So that's that. If anyone wants to talk, I'm here--for all my broodiness I'm generally a good listener and a supportive and genuinely warm person--and I'm looking forward to getting to know the community a bit better.

2. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Welcome to the fora Audrey, hope you find them useful. Be interested to hear your own take on things philosophically, it's always an interesting thing for me to see others' POV....

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi and welcome...it sometimes does feel like revealing a secret when one can talk more freely about the demons...for me, it has been one of my life savers...the thought of not being judged nor watched over which my friends have done when I talked to them honestly, is truly relieving...I am sure many ppl here understand feeling 'those moods'...I surely do..please PM me if I can be there for you...welcome again, J

4. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Audrey! Be nice to talk to you about different view points on various subjects. I enjoy thinking and analyzing a lot of things myself. I hope you find the support you need here! Give me a PM if you ever want to talk. Also if you want you can come join the chat room. :)

5. Thank you, Swift and Sadeyes and Limbo. I'm looking forward to participating, especially after the warm welcome.

(Sigh. I'm sure you all hear this quite a bit anyway, but why would such kind people ever want to disappear? The world needs more of you, in my view. )

6. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Welcome to SF Audrey.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

7. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Welcome, i think judging by your post you will be a great person to have around.

8. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just want to say hi and welcome you to SF hugs

9. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

Hi there. Welcome to SF, glad you found us.

10. I felt the same way when I found this yesterday. Finally an outlet for my sometimes unbearable sadness, hopelessness, terror of the unknown. People on here are so very kind, it is wonderful to have words of comfort instead of "shoulds" when I need to talk to someone. I hope you yourself find the forum equally helpful. :console: I don't feel so alone anymore, and I've felt that way as long as I can remember. (I must seem ancient to you, I'm in my mid-fifties, but have been struggling with being told I'm too sensitive, too emotional, too insecure, also for as long as I can remember.) :rose:

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi and welcome to the forums, feel free to pm me anytime xx

12. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Audrey, Another point of view is refreshing..I'm sure you will find that we are good listeners and very supportive..

13. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums :smile:

14. brokenandlonely

brokenandlonely Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to SF Aubrey! I'm sorry that you haven't been feeling well. If you want a friend or would like to talk, you can add me on here or send me a PM. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.