so what exactly is pandora?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by the masked depressant, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

heard about it in another thread- but i've no clue what it is.

please can someone explain?

2. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

No idea bubs. :S

3. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

There are a few things out there that borrow the name Pandora for the coolness factor, but the origin of the name traces back to the greek mythology, so Im guessing thats what youre asking for:

Pandora was the first woman, created by order of Zeus as punishment for men for accepting from Prometheus the secret of divine fire. She was made in the image of the greek Godesses and each deity gave her a trait, intelligence, patience, kindness, hability to dance, etc... but Hermes also Put treason and deceit in her heart. When finished, Zeus sent her to Epimetheus (unsure of the spelling) as a gift and who, despite being warned by Prometheus not to accept any gift from the Gods, immediatly fell in love with her and took her as his wife.

Sadly, Epimetheus also kept another gift the Gods had previously given to them, a box holding every evil in the World. He told Pandora never to open the box, not telling her what was in it, but curiosity took the best of her and she decided to take a peak, ths releasing evil into the world. By the time she managed to close the box al evil had escaped and, unknown to her, only one last thing remained at the bottom of the box.

That thing was hope.

Hope you liked the story :)

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Whence the various sayings on Pandora's Box.

Then maybe the people are talking about some kind of Pandora-like utopia, such as the one seen in the movie avatar.

5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

or they could even be referring to the internet music station (that is also a mobile phone app). Like Ordep said... there are many things that can be associated with the word "Pandora"

6. the masked depressant

thanks for that... but maybe i should have been a bit more clear

i posted a thread called " anyone know of music to help me sleep?", and someone suggested creating a free acount on pandora.

but the greek mythology stuff is interesting.. i may actually look that up- not just pandora, but the greeks in general- always loved my history

7. ZombiePringle

I was right! woooo! (about the radio station thing)

I have it on my phone. If you have an android phone or iPhone then you can go to the app markets and download it. (its free)

or go to the website for it on the computer.

8. the masked depressant

what is the diffrence between say that, and spotify?

9. ZombiePringle

I have never used spotify so I don't know. I have used Pandora and something called Slacker radio on my phone and I like Pandora a bit more. All it does is you take either a song or band and type it in. They create a station for you that involves that band/song and other similar bands or songs. It plays everything randomely (you get to skip 5 songs an hour or something like that)

10. the masked depressant

omg sounds cool!

do you have a link for it?

11. ZombiePringle

12. barto

barto Well-Known Member

It uses a thing called a "music genome project" to figure out what you would like listening to based on what you thumb up and down on your radio station. Sometimes it fails completely. One time on my Otep station, it played black metal followed by Fall Out Boy. LOL

13. the masked depressant

hahaha well i'll check it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.