so what is it?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by lost_child, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost_child

lost_child Well-Known Member

I've been told that I have an ED, to be honest I don't believe it. I do starve myself, and when I eat I'm sick, but I don't have to make myself sick anymore. The problem is when I eat my stomach cramps up, I get alot of heartburn and my jaw hurts when I eat solids. I won't eat more then 1000 calories a day, I usually try to have 500 and no more, I have lost weight and people are saying it. I don't want to eat though, what I do, I feel like I'm putting posion into me. The counsellor I'm seeing at the moment thinks I'm bulimic, but don't bulimics eat loads, binge on food? I don't do that, i don't binge so I can't be bulimic. I'm not underweight so I'm not aneroix (sp) I just don't like food, and food doesn't like me.

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Have you tried liquid meal replacements lost_child like Boost? They taste really great and have lots of nutrients in them.

3. sami

sami Well-Known Member

If you are actively restricting your intake of calories, being sick when you eat and see food as poison.. you could be suffering from Atypical Anorexia - all the behaviours but your BMI is above 17.5 or you still get periods.

You need to be formally diagnosed with an eating disorder by a clinical psychologist so you can get proper help with this.

4. lost_child

My BMI is above 17.5 and my periods haven't stopped. It was pyschotherpist and psychiatrist that said I have an ED, but I disagree.

What is Atypical Anorexia, cause I thought Anorexia was someone who was underweight, and Bulimia is someone who binge eats, therefore I'm neither. I don't binge, but when i do eat i'm sick..and I'm also not underweight. I don't know. Maybe I should speak to my shrink again, its just I don't want to put weight on, i want to lose it..food hates me and I hate food.

5. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Right now it seems you would fall into the ED-NOS category. (Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) That is what I have as well.

6. sami

sami Well-Known Member

Atypical Anorexia is also known as EDNOS, and is usually the diagnosis for people who show all the behaviours of either Anorexia (or Bulimia) but do not meet the full DSM/ICD criteria to be diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_disorder_not_otherwise_specified

It is completely understandable that you do not see any problem, but it is and it will only get worse.

7. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

do labels really matter: an eating disorder is any disruptive eating pattern that deviates away from normal eating regardless of what the actual eating pattern is. This is what annoys me so much about getting help, it sometimes feels like proper care is only given to those who fit in with the DSM VI criteria and those who don’t fit are left to the side to waste away until they become very sick. Surly it would be better to provide support when a ED is first developing if symptoms have been noticed. Orthorexics seem to get even less help than those with ED-NOS. :mad:

I think the key is realize your emotions and behavior around food and not to try and fit yourself into some category. You have an eating disorder because of your relationship with food, not because you’ve been labeled so.

8. FR34K5H0W

FR34K5H0W Member

An eating disorder isn't just anorexia or bulimia. It's a state when food and body image is always on your mind and effects your regular life in a bad way. If you are having compuslive thoughts about food and your body, then I would say you either do have an eating disorder, or you are devoloping one. I have an eating disorder, and it's horrible. Takes over your life. I hope you can take control over it before it takes control over you. Good luck. :]

9. lost_child

All I think about is food, how long I can starve myself for before I pass out, how many calories i'm eating when I eat and then I purge what I can. I don't binge eat, I rarely eat more then 800 calories. This week alone I didn't saturday, sunday or monday, passed out tuesday, eat later in the day (soup home made so no fat), purged it. Wednesdya didn't eat, today ate soup (no fat). I've had probably about 300 calories today and have been sick. I fear food. when I eat it hurts my stomach, every mouthfull of food makes me feel like i'm posioning myself. I had my body fat checked, its 15% and I think that's disgusting, its gross. I don't like food, some people don't like certain foods and nothing is said about that, but I just don't like food....and also no1 can tell me what I can and can't eat, only I can put it in my mouth and eat it. People say i'm losing weight, they just want me to really fat.

10. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie to you, it sounds like you do have an eating disorder, but I wouldn't expect you to acknowledge it yet, nor would any doctor. Hell not to sound like a textbook or something, but accepting it really is the biggest step. I can say it a million times, your doctors can say it a million times, anyone can say it over and over, but it won't mean a thing to you until you're ready to hear it, accept it and work on it.

First of all, let me tell you passing out is not fun. I don't know if you're talking literally not eating until you pass out, but as someone with serious passing out issues, it is not something I highly recommend to say the least.

It doesn't matter if you classify yourself as having an eating disorder. You don't have to have a name for it. If you are harming your body by your eating pattern in anyway, it doesn't matter if it has a specific name. You may not agree that you have an eating disorder, but from what you've posted you've alread acknowledged that your habits aren't healthy, to say the least.

PM me if ever needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.