So whats so great about University?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shock

Hey all,

Im just thinking aloud here. I have returned to uni after being absent for 4 years. Different uni and different course now. But I just find it incredibkly 'backwards' compared to the other learning colleges I've been too.

For one, it is extremely impersonal, the classes are massive, and the lecturer will probably never know your name. If youve got a question you must refer it to a forum where other students can help you answer it. This seems dumb, getting your answers from other students who are is the same position you are. They seem to cut costs using the BlackBoard (forum) application.

Anyway, the technology and buildings are not up-to-date and limited. Its impossible to get a computer to study with for example, and once I had a tutorial in a hallway because no classrooms were available - yet it is much more expensive then any other form of tertiary education, and receives far more funding.

Anyway, Im thinking about quiting and just getting a job in my field as it is.

I dunno, anyone had any positive experiences of uni?

Axiom

Account Closed
I've never been to Uni :( , but perhaps you are at a under funded uni. I remember my college to by extremely well setup, with classes getting smaller and more personal the further you went through the college system. Our uni in BC, UBC, is well known for being one of the best in Canada aswell, and the few Ive known who went there never had complaints like this.

Perhaps you can transfer to another uni next year or something? .. I wouldn't quit. Uni enhances the scope of many things, not just now, but in the future. I would keep at it, and look into newer more efficient unis for you. :)

Megan.

SF Supporter
I think it's definitely worth asking if university is for you. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I think it's too expensive to be something where you just assume you have to go.

While a college education can definitely open up doors and teach you skills, there are also plenty of people that spend 4 years and over $100,000 dollars to end up working for $10/hour somewhere they aren't using their degree.

So my advice is to think realistically about what you want to do when you graduate with your degree. Is it something you can only do by going to university? Are there going to be jobs available in that field? If so, you should probably go for it. If not, what's wrong with working your way up and learning by doing?

As for specific issues with your university, you may want to talk to other students. Ask them if it gets better in later years, as many schools have massive class sizes for first year students that get smaller and more personal as you focus your studies. But I guess maybe most learning in school is done with yourself and a book anyways. Also realize that both the skills you learn and the degree itself may be valuable. So, if you're at a school with a good reputation already, that may get you more opportunities down the road even if you think the teaching style or environment could be better. And don't you mostly go to a university to improve your opportunities down the road?

Anyway, everybody is different. Mostly I just think you need to honestly think about all the different possibilities and decide what you want.

plates

I think it's definitely worth asking if university is for you. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I think it's too expensive to be something where you just assume you have to go.

While a college education can definitely open up doors and teach you skills, there are also plenty of people that spend 4 years and over $100,000 dollars to end up working for $10/hour somewhere they aren't using their degree.

So my advice is to think realistically about what you want to do when you graduate with your degree. Is it something you can only do by going to university? Are there going to be jobs available in that field? If so, you should probably go for it. If not, what's wrong with working your way up and learning by doing?

As for specific issues with your university, you may want to talk to other students. Ask them if it gets better in later years, as many schools have massive class sizes for first year students that get smaller and more personal as you focus your studies. But I guess maybe most learning in school is done with yourself and a book anyways. Also realize that both the skills you learn and the degree itself may be valuable. So, if you're at a school with a good reputation already, that may get you more opportunities down the road even if you think the teaching style or environment could be better. And don't you mostly go to a university to improve your opportunities down the road?

Anyway, everybody is different. Mostly I just think you need to honestly think about all the different possibilities and decide what you want.
I agree.

Personally, I just liked the library and I had very enthusiastic tutors around me who knew what I was up to and were great to talk to. :cool:

But in your case, yeah. My sister is in a similar position and is very unhappy. She's staying cos of the name/status of the institution she goes to. You can graduate with a third or 2:2 but at least, to employers you are 'a graduate' :dunno: and would probably have a lot more choice as to where to work if you don't have a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00