social anxeity group therapy?

I'm joining one, and starting next week for 8 weeks..and I feel like a freak...you know..I can't even solve my own problems now I'm 19, and I have to ask for help..its kinda embarrassing.. :(

Does it help..?:unsure:

H

HappyAZaClaM

I'm joining one, and starting next week for 8 weeks..and I feel like a freak...you know..I can't even solve my own problems now I'm 19, and I have to ask for help..its kinda embarrassing.. :(

Does it help..?:unsure:
sort of. I think it depends. some groups are better than others.
it can't hurt. the main thing is to reinforce the idea that you are not alone.
other people have anxiety issues. I have major panic attacks, stage fright,
stuff like that.

I think groups can help. like I said, sort of. and like I also said...being
redundant, the main thing is you are not the only one. which is hard to
keep in mind if you are isolated.

good luck. don't feel like a freak. wait till you see the rest of the people
in the group :biggrin:

you'll think (Christ,these buggers are worse than me!) it'll be a great
learning experience and ultimately will be helpful yes.

SpencerA

its ok, im 17 and in a similar position.
the concept of group therapy for socially anxious people baffles me slightly, i mean i guess its good that you're all in the same position but it might be pretty awkward for a while! i bet you'll make new friends though, and you might also feel relieved when you find people both older and younger than you are going through similar issues xx

aoeu

the concept of group therapy for socially anxious people baffles me slightly
Yeah, me too. I found the idea highly amusing, and enjoyed observing the others while we were sitting in the waiting room. We positioned ourselves such that none of us were adjacent to any others and we all stared at our feet silently.

i must admit, clicking on this thread i did think it was gonna be some kind of joke.. group therapy for social anxiety. i was loling at it.

well i've never been to one. nor do i think i will. sadly i always doubt people when i'm in a social situation. to me, i feel like they're lying or are there for some alterior motive.

just me tho. and me woerdness :unsure:

aoeu

It's a bit of a contradictory idea. I can't say I'm entirely surprised, though - the best way to deal with social anxiety would be to be social in a comfortable setting, wouldn't it?

Aleth

It sounds pretty tough! I guess the whole session would be one long, uncomfortable silence!

Wouldn't it be easier if they paired you with someone whose problem was being way too talkative. People who overcompensate for my quietness put me at ease. I dread being trapped in silence with someone, trying desperately to think of something to say.

aoeu

Actually, most people there aren't how I expected. Several people played team sports, a couple talked a lot, and only two were really shy [myself being one of them]. The facilitators there were quite good at keeping things going, and they occasionally forced the shy people to speak up... Unfortunately, one of them figured out my body language for wanting to say something and called on me anytime he saw me doing it, despite my instinct to keep quiet despite wanting to speak out. The last two times I was there I did my best to avoid that language. >_>

Maylin

Yeah, me too. I found the idea highly amusing, and enjoyed observing the others while we were sitting in the waiting room. We positioned ourselves such that none of us were adjacent to any others and we all stared at our feet silently.
Haha, thanks I really needed a laugh :smile:, though it is funny because it is true, which makes it sad :huh:

Epical Taylz

my dad took one before.
it helps,
but sometimes the people taking the classes
arent in it because they cant talk to people,
theyre in it to improve their talking skills.

so i say it veries apon who you are and why youre there.

Sidewalk Slam

I've been wanting to find one.. but like you all were saying.. seems like an oxymoron.

I think it would help me though mainly because I could possibly find a friend through it and we could get past that hump of awkwardness to become close since we'd both know what we were going through.

I always imagined it in some happy movie way.. we'd finally ask to hang out.. go out for coffee or to the park.. stare awkwardly at our feet half the time and then burst out laughing at ourselves for being anxious around eachother even though we have no reason to be since we both share the same disorder and understand it completely.

I can dream, can't I?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00