Social Anxiety? Fear of authority and rejection?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by pillowperson27, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pillowperson27

pillowperson27 Active Member

It is hard for me to approach someone looking for work. maybe because i'm afraid of being rejected. But i find myself speaking very fast and incoherently when talking to someone with authority. In school, i mingle well with other students and teachers and seem completely normal to them. But in the work environment my speeches become slurred. I don't know what this disorder is but I really do feel anxious when looking for a job.... to the point that i don't even want to talk about it and keep lying to others and to myself that i will look for one tomorrow. It is killing me! Even though I talk a lot of idiotic crap with other students, i usually find a way to end the conversation, or don't talk at all once the other person stops talking (thank god). Anyway, i'm thinking this inability to become a socialite is effecting my behaviour in a work environment. what do you think?
    sorry if the paragraph doesn't seem to make any sense; i'm not thinking well tonight.
  2. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

there is a disorder called social anxiety disorder
  3. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

It really is a terrible problem, and those that dont suffer it, have no idea the degree to which it can impact your life. There are therapies you can get that can greatly help you, and the school years are a good time to do it since your constantly surrounded by people, but im not sure reading what youve said that you actually suffer social anxiety. I think its more fear based, fear of looking silly etc. Someone who suffers social anxiety and phobia, can barely approach people, in any setting, and they go out of there way to isolate themselves.

I use to think i suffered social anxiety, but im not sure if thats true, im normally ok around people, I can get along really well with others in a social setting or work setting, its the meeting people part that I find really hard, and holding onto people, and off course if there female...thats another story. I feel so flat these days, makes it even harder.

I encourage you to get help though, get a second opinion, and find some solutions to manage your anxiety.
  4. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

I have acute social anxiety disorder and dont leave my house or answer the phone.

5. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Ya thats very much classic acute social anxiety, and possibly agoraphobia

I go out pretty much every day, or second day....normally just for a walk, or go to the pub for a counter lunch or something. Its never to meet other ppl unfortunately :(

Ive always hated the phone, I very rarely answer it, but part of that is because we get ppl trying to sell us stuff or ask for money....and i'm not interested, i have no money to give.
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I feel you. I haven't answered the phone in a very long time. I stay in my room most of the time. I hate going out. If and when I do, it's only long enough to do something that I really want to do. And even then, all I can think about the whole time is about how naked I feel and getting back home. The only place in the world where I feel normal and comfortable.
  7. crazy

crazy Well-Known Member

there is a thing called performance anxiety in which is a person gets anxious, nervous, scared when they are around people of athority such as a boss or teacher
  8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think I have every kind of anxiety that exists. I guess I have a general anxiety....of everything. Just sitting and waiting for the sun to rise or set makes me anxious. Waiting for my tea to steep makes me anxious. Realizing that I'm anxious makes me anxious.

I'm afraid of everything too. Why? I don't know. I do know but I don't. When I think I'm getting close to the answer, anxiety or depression sets in and I get sidetracked. That or I get sleepy.
  9. Know One

Know One Member

Likewise here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.