Social anxiety - medicine is working...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by User Name, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Name

User Name Member

But what now?
  2. twc

twc Well-Known Member

How can you tell it's working? Just curious.
  3. User Name

User Name Member

I have actually wANted to leave my house and meet people. I even had a conversation with a few students at my school. I haven't talked to people face to face like that for years. IDK I just really want to meet and talk to people but I have no outlet for it and it's driving me crazy.
  4. twc

twc Well-Known Member

Well that's great! It's a much better problem to have. If you keep looking, you'll find people.
  5. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I have social anxiety but am on effective medication too, the key is I think is to put youreslf out there, Personally I think introducing youreslf to a classmate you might want to get to know might be helpful like maybe the person sitting next to you or someone who is in a couple of your classes that you might recongize. Also school clubs might be helpful too, good luck.
  6. User Name

User Name Member

I have actually droppEd out of the school kind of... Maybe I will be a tourist and join the clubs anyways
  7. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

oh sorry didn't know that, one thing I like to do that is not school releated is go to concerts, it's pretty easy to strike up a conversation there before an act begins to play.
  8. User Name

User Name Member

You don't have to apologize I never mentioned it :biggrin:

that sounds like a really good idea though. What music do you like to go listen to?
  9. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousity, what medicine do you take for social anxiety?
  10. J_Oli3

J_Oli3 Well-Known Member

I'd love to know also
  11. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I used to have social anxiety and I saw a therapist about it. What you have to do is list the places that make you most anxious, and go to those places. You will feel your anxiety rise, but you have to stay there until you can feel it lower itself. Repeat this process another day, and the anxiety should be a bit less. Do it again and again, and the more you do it the less anxiety you will experience. Before long, the anxiety will be gone.
  12. Moob

Moob New Member

I have social anxiety also but im waiting on therapy
    i am curious to know what medication there is for it though

Tobes is right though
    i was told the same think by my first therapist
    or at least words to that effect
  13. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

When I was feeling particularly sociable I joined a few classes at my local college. Nothing huge just like acting classes or learning a language. Anything that gets you out and about and talking to people, and they are a great way to make friends.

Another thing I did was make friends online using websites like Gumtree and Craigslist. A lot of people feel a bit embarrassed to do this, but if you're new in town and don't know many people or your social life has ground to a halt, I think those sites are great and I've met some lovely (and most importantly normal) people that way. Most people are happy just to meet up for a coffee and a chat, or for a drink and to hit the clubs, or to just watch a movie etc.

Another thing I have done - and this is only if you're feeling particularly brave, is just go out into generally crowded places like supermarkets, bus stops, train stations, the mall etc. and ask someone the time before move along. There are usually plenty of opportunities to chat when you're out somewhere crowded. Someone might say or do something that warrants a "yeah the weather has been looking particularly bleak" or "I know... only 2 months until Christmas" type thing.
    I always find older people are usually happy for a quick chit chat before heading on and are usually glad for the chat. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.