Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by gvsjijg, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gvsjijg

gvsjijg Guest

The housekeeper who set up my mom and stepfather is trying to "get me out" now. She's a sweet lady, a little intimidating, but anyway she brought over her daughter today. I was in my room but i heard my mom telling the daughter i'm a schizo, and all that. Tomorrow, after my appointment with a new psychiatrist, the housekeeper wants me to go hang out with her daughter and spend the night.

Now. i was nervous enough just talking to the daughter when my mom was in the room with us. The girl's sweet, easygoing, my age, etc. but i am not used to people at all. I'm worried she'll ask me about my "illnesses," or talk about me behind my back, and my mom said she might get catty. I know these are mostly normal female issues, and i could be thinking too far ahead, but what if she hates me?

Basically, how do you interact with people? What are normal things to talk about? They want me to go to the mall, etc. and i haven't been for months, maybe more than a year. I'm just really nervous and on the verge of a panic attack. My mom says to talk to the psychiatrist tomorrow and decide whether i'll go after then. I'm really nervous that a friendship won't work because my mom and the housekeeper kept saying her daughter could be jealous. There's nothing about me to be jealous about. In fact, i'm jealous that i'm not normal. and really, really nervous.

I have ativan but i hate it with a passion. Should i take it or go cold turkey?

I know this is all incoherent but advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. twilightki

twilightki Well-Known Member

Try your best to relax. From what you've said, chances are she'll make all the conversation. It's real easy to keep a conversation going when the other person is bringing up all the topics to talk about. Don't feel pressured to say anything. But if you see something you like, "Hey...this is cool...I wish I had enough money to buy this...how would this look on me?....wow, this is really neat..."

Trust me, this isn't as bad as it seems. It'll be fun. :)

3. gvsjijg

gvsjijg Guest

That's good advice. Thank you.

4. seishou

seishou Guest

It's petrifying at first, but when you get together I'm sure you'll have no problem finding stuff to talk about. I hope you decide to go, and have a great time :)

And just one silly question, what does she mean by catty?

5. gvsjijg

gvsjijg Guest

Thanks. :) I couldn't go yesterday but i most likely will on Thursday or Friday. This lady is persistent and i know she won't let me off, hehe.

Catty...stereotypical girl stuff. Spite. it's nothing new to me, that can crop up anywhere and any time no matter the people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.