social anxiety

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by GA_lost, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

On Tuesday, I had plans to go to lunch with people from the bereavement group (I went six weeks to this group in May/June). I was planning to go to lunch until about a half hour before I was to leave. My fears of socializing became acute and I backed out. The result of this was feeling very angry at myself for being so weak. The second thing that happened was a desire to hurt myself. If I can not overcome this anxiety, I will be perpetually alone (a very sad place to be).

2. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Bereavement, sorry to hear that. Have you tried anything to treat your anxiety, is it new?

3. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I think I have anxiety issues too, but it could just be that I'm shy. I'd love to meet new people but I get way too nervous about it. I never really do it, with the rare occasion, and even then, right until the second I meet them I'm shitting it. Sometimes though, it's worth it. You can just get on so well with someone, talk for ages with no awkward silences, and it can make you feel really great about things, even if only for a little while. That's what helps me, I think. That and they seemed really cool lol. Try and think of the possible positive outcomes, I think it could help.

And I'm sorry to hear about that.

4. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

Social anxiety is not new, but I was surprised I could not control it. If I was not so tired, I could have tried xanax. I do have a therapist, and I will have to tell her on Monday what happened. She will be dissapointed in me.

5. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I'm sure she won't be disappointed, its not like you can help it. It just means you will have some more stuff to work on. If it was unusual it could just have been that you was particularly tired or stressed at the time, i usually feel worse when i am tired. I glad to hear you have some support.

6. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

She'll be proud of you for telling her and trying to do something about it :hug:

7. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

perpetually alone is a term that i can really relate to - i too suffer from social anxiety, and if it wasn't bad enough i've had three very bad experiences this year alone which have stopped me ever trusting or being close to anyone again

i'm a total introvert now - i stay at home, don't go out unless i have to, conduct my life under pseudonyms on the internet and don't even use the phone unless it's really necessary

i'm a lot better off for it, too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.