social anxiety

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ToddMAdl, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddMAdl

ToddMAdl Well-Known Member

Hi, I don't know how long I've really been socially anxious since I've always at least had some friends and I've never been mute but I'm pretty sure I have social anxiety. I'm really lonely but I have a hard time sometimes getting out and meeting people mostly I imagine because I have depression and lack energy to get out and meet people but it's because I hate it as well. I've really had problems with this with girls. I've dated and had relationships with girls but not as many as I'd like or as many as most of my male friends. I've always had male friends but never enough female friends and I personally like women better. I hate making small talk and initially meeting people, I like talking about things of substance if you know what I mean. But I get really anxious and avoidant in social situations so sometimes I avoid going out with friends or going to parties, etc because I feel socially anxious even though I know I might actually enjoy myself for the most part but I end up isolating myself at times and I hate myself for it. Sometimes when I'm talking to people I feel hot and sometimes I think I blush and just glow red, forget what I'm saying, stutter,etc, especially if I'm doing public speaking or speaking in front of other people. I've been seeing therapists on and off for the last five years and I've been on anti-depressants but honestly I get cynical over the "help" I get because things haven't improved very much. I'm much better socially than I was not too long ago but I'm not happy. I'm lonely but old habits die hard so it is hard to change. Any advice?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi have you been on anti anxiety medication though this is something maybe you can ask your doctor about. Actually cognitive behavioral therapy helps dialetical therapy helps as well for anxiety Consider seeing a therapist who can help you not be so anxious okay it works hugs

3. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

Have you spoken to your doctor?

4. ToddMAdl

ToddMAdl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the concern but to answer your question, no I've just been on anti-depressants. I'm working on tapering off the one I'm on now and I'm hesitant about using other medications because these anti-depressants have been causing me sexual side effects. I'm going to be talking to a nurse practitioner to address my problems as I really don't have a doctor since my parents are doctors it is hard to tell them about specific problems that are embarrassing so I don't.

5. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Anti-depressants don't work for anxiety, not sure why you've been given them. Get on some anti anxiety medication. Most don't adress the mental issues associated with anxiety though, but I suggest you insist on getting the right drugs prescribed which do adress all issues.

6. petersen

petersen New Member

It consists of life at different times and different reasons.Social anxiety disorder, also known as social phobia, some including intense fear of social situations - especially situations that are unfamiliar or which You will be seen or evaluated by others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.