social anziety biting my ass

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by wheresmysheep, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Ok, so is one of my main issues teh anxiety when i go out, its horrible. but since i started the meds i have wanted to go out more, though i have not felt more at ease, if anything i just get agitated and frustrated that i cant go out and that i have nothing to do when i go out. Its really starting to get to me, not well enough to work, but sick enough to be bothered by it.
    ffs
    so anyone feel the same or have any pointers?
    oh and btw walking to a certain place doesnt help me

2. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I also have problems with anxiety, to the point I didn't leave the house for months. What I did was take small steps. Just going to the shop sometimes to start. Anything to get a bit more used to being outside around people. If you can commit yourself to going for a 10 minute walk every other day, you're likely to see an improvement. :)

3. wheresmysheep

oh i know all this hun, i'm currently doing that, what i am saying is that i am finding yself WANTING to go out, to mix to be outside, but i have nothing to do outside (i must have something to do to go outside, otherwise i panic) but i cant be outside due to my anxiety, i cant work because of it, i cant cope with anything because of it.
    Just wondering if i'm alone in the wantign to go out but unable to.
    Up to this point i was quite content being inside and alone

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Do you think you might be able to enough to do some very light volunteer work? Maybe with animals if people are hard?

The fact you want to get out shows you are fighting it more than just being prepared to stay inside and be alone and give in to the anxiety.

What about things like posting letters? Is that achievable? Or maybe something you could work towards? Sometimes just something seemingly small can get you out a bit and prove to yourself that you can do it and help some confidence grow. Also, it might prove that whilst the anxiety is horrid, it is something you can tolerate (maybe not completely, but at times, or in certain situations) and it does eventually ease.

Would things like sitting on your front doorstep be a step in the right direction?

I don't know much about your anxiety so I am just throwing things about. I do think that the fact you want to go out is a good thing, and hopefully in time and with the right support actually going out will become an option for you :)

5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Oh! Well the gym really helped me with that. Maybe join one? Even better because you're doing something productive for yourself and exercise produces 'feel good' chemicals. Also shopping with someone? Food, clothes, books, etc. I get kinda nervous with that personally, so I don't know if it would help.
    Scum's suggestion of volunteer work could be good.

6. saraa

saraa Member

I have pretty bad anxiety. I couldn't leave the house FOR 2 FREAKING YEARS. Home was my "safe place". I couldnt even go to the mail box it was that bad. The weird thing was that im a REALLY shy girl unless i really know people, and i make friends so easily! What are your interests? I dont know how old you are but like if you love sport maybe go and watch a game of sport?

7. wheresmysheep

i dont have "interests" nor does going out for those purposes help me. i generally dont leave my room unless its absolutely needed.

8. wheresmysheep

i did look into this, and unfortuantely theres nothing in my area.

i've given in now,, i just dont want to do any of it any more

no i dont think this would help. its hard enough living in the house i am in.

thank you for this post, it was nice to see some support here for a change

9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I guess my pointer would be to look people in the eyes. With social anxiety, for me at least, that started out very painful. Now sometimes I can do it. Other times I do it but I dissociate. Look people in the eyes walking by. Look them in the eyes as much as you can when you talk to them. It will probably be pretty painful at first if you're not used to it, but just keep doing it, no matter what! Eventually this will lessen your social anxiety I believe.
    Best of luck :hug:

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i found my mood and anxiety is really closely related. i look back at my life and realise my eating disorder/depression and relationships effected how i saw myself. when those two improved, and i got away from the said people, i didn't feel the anxiety outdoors anymore and i loved being outside. i still do.

it's just a thought but maybe the anxiety is related to other things like feeling low/suicidal and your home, and not isolated?

11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Hi. I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm sorry you're having this problem. I kind of have it too. I don't get panic attacks or anything but the thought of going out or interacting with people does make me anxious and I avoid it like crazy.

The only time when I feel like I can go out is when I know exactly what I want to do and it's something that won't be challenging or difficult to accomplish. I just go, get it done and go back home. I don't mind going to a store for a while or something but sometimes, even if I want to go, something just holds me back and I put off going until I don't feel like it anymore.

It stinks. I've always been this way. I hope you find something that will help you.

12. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

I have pretty severe social anxiety so i know what you mean. If you need to talk privately you can always PM me. And yes there are plenty of times where i really want to go out but just cant muster the courage. It can make me feel pretty trapped and just generally really restless, but to me this is a sign that my fear of going out has grown stronger than my desire to. Phobias and anxeitys only worsen and snowball the longer you refuse to address them and the issues surrounding them. Its kind of like a dam filling with water. Going outside eases the pressure on the dam as you release a bit of that water but the more you refuse to face the fear the more water builds up.

There has been some really really good advice here. I personally recommend joining a gym, or signing up for community service like serving lunch at a homeless shelter every weekend. Helping people can really put life into perspective from another angle and really make you feel good about it

If you do something that you can schedule routinely (once a week or something) that may help you grow more comfortable with the notion of leaving the house. You could even walk to the post office to drop off your mail instead of having it picked up straight from your house or something like that.

Do you know WHY you feel anxious about leaving your house?

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  13. wheresmysheep

no i dont know why it effects me so much. i'm going to try go to the gym once a week for an hour each time, i dont know if it will happen, but i am considering it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.