Social Isolation Growing in U.S., Study Says

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Bob26003, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

I just ran across this:

Social Isolation Growing in U.S., Study Says
    The Number of People Who Say They Have No One to Confide In Has Risen

By Shankar Vedantam
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, June 23, 2006; Page A03

Americans are far more socially isolated today than they were two decades ago, and a sharply growing number of people say they have no one in whom they can confide, according to a comprehensive new evaluation of the decline of social ties in the United States.

A quarter of Americans say they have no one with whom they can discuss personal troubles, more than double the number who were similarly isolated in 1985. Overall, the number of people Americans have in their closest circle of confidants has dropped from around three to about two

The comprehensive new study paints a sobering picture of an increasingly fragmented America, where intimate social ties -- once seen as an integral part of daily life and associated with a host of psychological and civic benefits -- are shrinking or nonexistent. In bad times, far more people appear to suffer alone.

Continues.............. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/22/AR2006062201763.html

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I believe this. With advances in technology it is so easy to turn to the internet for things and people don't have to go out. Also in many places groceries can be delivered, as well as about anything which eliminates the need for socialization. As depression becomes more widespread it's easier to hide.

3. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of modernization.

4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

No wonder less and less people are content nor happy.

Modernization is a positive thing but what is required is balance and at the moment there is none.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.