Social Multitasking: Are You Making People Hate You?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by boo, Aug 3, 2010.

So are you guilty of social-multitasking?

1. Yes surrey bob.

2. No diggly doo.

3. Ski-Bi dibby dib yo da dub dub Yo dab dub dub I'm a scatman, erm wait what was the question?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Simple fact, one of the greatest gift you can give anyone is your full attention. And, one of the reasons it’s such a huge gift is that, sadly, full-attention has become so rare that, when given, it’s like you’ve just offered up a trunk full of buried treasure.

But, as much as we love to receive other peoples’ undivided attention, we’re often guilty of not giving that same attention to others ourselves. And, to make matters worse… The people we’re most guilty of social multitasking with are those closest to us.

We start conversations, then wander off as soon. One of the ruddest and most teeth grinding worthy is when someone answer their damn cell phone. Especially at the table when i'm paying the meal... Luckily i dont have that problem because no one calls me.

So are you guilty of social-multitasking? Don't lie msn users... :mad::tongue:
  2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Yes but not through multitasking. No.
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I suck at multi tasking no matter what kind it is.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Sometimes using MSN I don't give my full attention. Usually when dealing with people I do pay good attention, however.
  5. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

Like Boo, I am aware of how precious it is to just listen to someone, no matter what they're talking about. I'm sure I don't always give 100% of my attention 100% of the time, but generally I will always pay attention to whoever I'm with/talking to, whether it's a friend, family member or even staff in a shop. Equally, if I am on the phone to someone, I will give them my full attention and not try to do something else at the same time. It's just rude.

6. Chameleon76

Chameleon76 Well-Known Member

I'm guilty of tuning people out while they're talking to me sometimes.......but not because i'm multitasking, i'm just not interested in what they have to say.
  7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I have a hard time focusing on anything at all, because my brain is always going 100 miles/hour- thinking, thinking, thinking and being paranoid.
    When someone is talking to me; my mind is with them sure, but my eyes might not be... especially since I HATE making eye contact.

If it's important to them, then yeah- I'm with them.
    If it's a bunch of bullshit and they're just chatting about random stuff, I don't see why I need to try as hard as I'd have to to focus completely on them.
    and msn... no one really talks with me on msn OR facebook. So I don't have the problem of having several different conversations at the same time.
  8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

if im talking to someone on the computer, i am usually multitasking. some days, i am better at it than others. it's not that i don't wish to talk to the person, but it's just what i do when i am on the computer. if i'm talking to someone in real life though, i would pay them proper attention.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.