Social phobia --> Loneliness --> Suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Aleth, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

It seems to be a common thread. So WHAT is the solution?

Maybe someone can give some links to support or inspirational sites, or has ideas on practical things to do.
  2. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

There are sites like Your probably aware of that one. I think the only way to break social phobia is confronting head on, and thats a very tough thing to do, just like any other fear, its very controlling. Even if you can find one outlet in which your in contact with people in a minor way, its a start.
  3. Aleth

Aleth Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll have a look at that one. I've never really labelled myself before, beyond being "too quiet." I guess it helps in a way to see how other people in the same situation find ways to deal with the problem.

Yeah, I know its not easy, and the answer probably lies halfway between acceptance and change. Practicallly, I've tried confronting it head on by throwing myself into a completely new environment, where I had to meet and deal with alot of new people, and had some success with it. So I guess that gives me some cause for hope. Although my downfall is that I easily become undermined by self doubt and insecurities. And naturally, in my state of mind at the moment, it is also much harder to cross that anxiety barrier.

But right now, its pretty much do or die. So I might as well take some risks, even it is really hard to do. Just have to find enough strength somehow to rally myself a bit. Its easier to talk about doing something than actually doing it!
  4. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

One strategy that sometimes works is to bring along a best friend who you're comfortable with and approach social situations together. It's much easier than doing it alone. Once you're used to this, try doing it on your own and just imagine your friend is still there with you. Usually the more frequently you do this, the easier it will become. If you don't have a good friend to accompany you, focus on finding such a person first. The friend could be someone who is also shy, both of you can help each other. On the other hand, the friend could be someone who is perhaps more of an extrovert - though accepts you despite your asocial behavior, and is willing to help you break your old habits. There will be good and bad days, give yourself some alone time to rest when you need it. Most importantly, make sure you're doing this because it's what you truly want, not what others expect of you. Have a great summer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.